Freeware Accounting Software (or is Quickbooks Worth It?)

[FONT=“Georgia”]Hello.

Was wondering if anyone can recommend any good accounting software; preferably freeware.

Or, is anyone familiar with Quickbooks and can tell me if you think it’s worth it. It’s very expensive!

Thanks!

[/FONT]

I’ve been running my business on quickbooks for over 15 years and have never felt the need to look elsewhere. I use quickbooks pro single-user and only update it every few years, so it works out to maybe $30.00/us per year for the software. If you need payroll then there is a yearly tax table you need to buy (in the US anyway).

I tried a couple web-based freeware accounting but didn’t like it. They all seemed to take about 4 or 5 times as many clicks/keystrokes per transaction entry, which for me meant it took twice as long to do my bookkeeping data entry.

$00000000000000.02

Unfortunately, the accounting niche has a very small selection of tools. Peachtree is the other major contender that I’ve heard of (not free), but it has its own set of quirks like quickbooks does.

[edit]: I found a list of tools here: http://alternativeto.net/software/quickbooks/?platform=windows

[FONT=“Georgia”]Thanks for the tips. I’m giving GnuCash a try as a free option. If it doesn’t work out, I’m going to try Quickbooks’ trial period and decide from there.

I’m planning to operate as a sole trader, so it’s only my salary to worry about. Not too concerned about payroll tools, therefore.

I’ll have to figure out how to handle taxes.

[/FONT]

Have you tried Numia , its free and and its an online service…

I think they have all the options which quickbooks claims to have… May be the GUI may not be the best but i think everything else is fine…

Hi,
You can try QnE Accounting Software if you are looking for a user-friendly accounting software
So far, this is one Business Management Software that I am satisfied with
There are other software as well, and they offer free trial :slight_smile:
Good luck!

Thanks but this thread dates from 2011. I’m closing it :smiley: