Frequency of New Content/Updates for Visitors/ Engines

While I did search SP for this (frequency of new content) was a little surprised to come up a little thin on the topic.

Am trying to arrive at a broad rule of thumb, for how often new site pages should be added, over simply updating the site, though this is done as well.

So, for sites that are not themed in ‘news’, ‘reporting’ or the other intensely time-related, what might be a general recommended frequency for adding new content to keep things fresh? Understanding, that this is done for the visitors as priority, then, for the importance that the engines give to it. And too, that this must be maintained over the course of a given time period.

[FONT=Verdana]

Well, I would have said you’ve just answered your own question. Add a new page or new content when you have something worth adding for your visitors - however often and however regularly or irregularly that might be. :)[/FONT]

The internet is a set of documents connected by links. When you are writing, most likely you are not just creating an “article” but a more elaborate plan based on a hierarchy or framework that helps the reader move through your site in a meaningful way. As you understand this part better, I think you will find that content will flow more freely for you.

Do you mean to say that you wouldn’t take what G looks for, as far as frequency is concerned, into account? Please know that I have other obligations bearing on this, which points to planning.

I do understand adding increased meaning/value in an efective way across many categories. Content does flow freely since I have many years experience in most of what I have chosen to write, though admittedly not all. This was not a question of blockages or effort, but rather of achieving a more regular goal set.

In SEO terms, the smaller the intervals between additions the better, provided the quality is the same or better compared to what there is already. Quality is (still) the key ingredient and relevance is also important as is originality and diversity.
Increasing production quantity at the cost of quality is bound to be counterproductive.

The quality comes first, but once your site updates frequently you can become like site that generates news and can be crawled more often and rank better with the new content. Remember that quality should come first always! :slight_smile:

How does that answer the question?

Am still trying to come up with a desired frequency. Does anybody know this? At least at the minimum.

It says mainly: the more frequent the better if that does not hurt the quality. There is no rule of thumb for that!

[FONT=Verdana]

I don’t think there’s an answer to that question. How could there be? Every site is different, and what’s right for one site is wrong for another. One of my sites is for a small annual festival. For a couple of months of the year, when the programme is being announced, tickets sold, etc., there are updates several times a week, daily, even. For the rest of the year, there are few, if any, updates - because there is nothing to say. On the other hand, if I ran a news site, constant, on-going updates 365 days in the year would be the norm. Update your content when it is right for your site and your visitors.
[/FONT]

You can check this article:http://www.seomoz.org/blog/google-fresh-factor

The answer is going to be different based on a whole lot of different factors.

One factor is how dynamic the topic is - a news site needs updating many times a day while a site for some types of business may only need a few changes a year.

Another factor is the time you have available to create new quality content. If you want to have new pages appear at reasonably regular intervals then you may need a supply of pages in advance to cover for the times when you have less time to write. Only some types of sites need the new pages to be even slightly regular though, most can get away with new pages being added with anywhere between a couple of hours and a few months in between.