FTP access?

Hi All,

I’m having a bit of trouble with uploading a site. The hosting is with united-domains and has been previously used, so not sure if any folders have been deleted. One of the main issues is that the hosting company is registered in Germany and being based in the UK with a limited knowledge of German does not help.

In short i can connect to the ftp site where 3 folders are shown. temp / php_sessions / php_includes - I’m guessing that when i upload the site it need to be loose at this level. I have no problems uploading the site to any of the individual folders but get an error message when trying to upload to the same level is the 3 folders.

Couple of bits to mention is that there is forwarding currently set up on the domain. Ideally i would like to upload the site before the forwarding is removed. Also I have attached the error message i receive below. I’ve tried using both cyberduck and transmit and on both i get an error message.

Cybreduck - 553 Can’t open that file: Permission denied.

Transmit - Server said:
Can’t open that file: Permission denied
Error -160: could not start data transfer

Please let me know if further information is required.

Many thanks,

Keith

Usually FTP is pretty easy, but it’s hard to say what’s happening here.

Some of things you mention don’t mean much to me, such as:

Do you mean to the root folder, such as /public_html/ ? I’m assuming (if that’s the name of the root folder) that you can’t upload to there?

forwarding currently set up on the domain.

What does that actually mean in practice?

Can’t open that file: Permission denied.

What file, if any, are you trying to open? Or what are you trying to do when you get this error?

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for your quick response.

I’ve run through the questioned you asked below.

Do you mean to the root folder, such as /public_html/ ? I’m assuming (if that’s the name of the root folder) that you can’t upload to there?

Yes, the folders i listed above are all contained at the root level, so would imagine that when i upload the site it would need to be uploaded at the root level as opposed to one of these folder (see original post for .

forwarding currently set up on the domain.

The person who had originally set up the site had the domain and hosting set up with one company but then uploaded the site to a different server. So currently the domain is pointed towards a different address. I don’t know why this was done.

What file, if any, are you trying to open? Or what are you trying to do when you get this error?

The two example error messages are what i received when trying to upload a file. This can be image, html page etc. The same error message occurs.

Just don’t understand why I can upload any files to the root level of the folder. Also i can’t create any folders at the root level.

Also i have uploaded sites before, and not had a problem.

Hope that helps,

Keith

That’s quite normal, actually. Domain hosting and web hosting are two different things, so it’s common to have your domain with one company and your hosting with another. So there’s nothing unusual there, and that’s not your problem, I’d say.

Can you log in to the server (through some kind of control panel, such as CPanel)? Normally, that facility comes with a hosting account. If so, can you create files and folders in the root folder there?

The hosting site if in German and there does not seem to be an English translation. So is a bit of a slow process. From the bits i have translated they recommend using FileZilla to upload the site. I download the software and can access the ftp site at the root level. Though, i still get the problem of not being able to upload. As you mentioned, i’ve tried to create a folder ‘test’ using filezilla and get the follow error message.

Command: MKD test
Response: 550 Can’t create directory: Permission denied
Command: MKD /test
Response: 550 Can’t create directory: Permission denied

Sounds like you don’t have login details for the hosting control panel, then. Do you know anything about the hosting service?

I guess there must be permission of some kind set up, but I’d say the best thing is to get in contact with the hosting company. With any luck, someone there will sprechen English. (Many Europeans seem to speak English better than native speakers these days. :rolleyes: )

Thanks for the confirmation. I was having a look around on Google for the error messages i get and as you mentioned it does seem to be a permission problem. I’ll give them a call. My German is a bit rusty but should hopfully be ok in sorting out the problem.

Many thanks for your help.

It sounds like some of the folder permissions have been set so you cannot write to them. Sometimes the root is hidden above the site or protected for obvious security reasons. In Filezilla right-click on the ‘Remote site’ folders and look at their ‘File permissions…’ you might be trying to create the folder in the wrong directory.

It sounds to me like you are seeing one folder above your public root. This is useful, in some situations, when you are need files to be stored away from public access. It seems though, that you are not enabled the permissions to write to this folder? Try to create a folder called www or public, then upload your files to this folder and see if those are visible on your domain. If not, try to remove the default local directory if you have one set up, in the server settings in firezilla.