FTP Error in Adobe Dreamweaver

Hi everyone,

I’m working on a site for someone, and I’m trying to update pages on Dreamweaver through ftp. Getting them and saving them on the local machine works fine, but when I try put it back on the remote machine, I get this error:

Started: 7/28/2011 11:32 PM

web\pages\bill.html - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put bill.html. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.

File activity incomplete. 1 file(s) or folder(s) were not completed.

Files with errors: 1
web\pages\bill.html

Finished: 7/28/2011 11:32 PM

The file exists, and if it is a permission or authorization problem, then what do I do to get the right authorization? The person who owns this site isn’t anywhere close to computer savvy and he has already given me all the information he knows so I’m not sure where to go from here?

When you test your connection to the site (using the test button in the Site setup dialogue box) does it work?

If you’re talking about when you define a new Site, then yes - “Dreamweaver connected to your Web server successfully.”

Do you have access to the hosting account itself (such as a file manager in a control panel that you log in to)? Anyhow, it might be best to ring the web host as ask them directly. That could be a quicker solution.

Also, does this apply only to pages that are already on the site? (That is, can you upload new pages?)