FTP Window

Hi Chaps,

Fully aware that this is not strictly a PHP based query, but I am hving problems with PHP / File Uploads to a FTP site.

Basically, I have a PHP app that requires login, the login credentials determine which FTP folder to read on sucessful login. The user can then browse the FTP folder, upload and download files. The user cannot access/view any FTP folders other than their specific folder.

I’m looking into alternatives to PHP/PHP_FTP file uploads, as using Form POSTs or Java has caused problems for some, but not for others.

My question is: is there any controls that can open a MS-style Explorer FTP Window, outside of the app (i.e. in a pop-out exporer window) that can restricted a user to a certain folder level e.g.:

FTP-Root

• Freelance

• User-A

• Folder-1
    • Folder-2
      • Folder-3
  • User-B

• Folder-1

This would mean that when User A logs in, his default FTP Window/access would be User-A, and would be able to browse down to Folder-3, but could not see User-B, Freelance or FTP-Root folders.

Again, sorry if this is misplaced.

Cpanel actually has something like this but you have to download a script and run it for it to install on the users system. I don’t think it can be done through a browser although i have a vague recollection of the cpanel file manager offering something similar.

Either way its an advanced bit of coding so i suspect you may need to become creative with your googling.

Simplest thing: create FTP accounts.
With a server like ProFTPd you can hav credentials stored in a database and ProFTPd handles all those ACLs for you.
If you’re on a shared host there’s no way to use any other tools - how should e.g. Explorer know which folders the user may see?