Full text search with relevance

I have a fairly simple forum I’m learning how to create. I need to add a full text search. It will need to search by post as well as topic.
The results should be sorted by relevance.
I have both rows in my table(post, topic) and am able to post to them and see them in mysqlAdmin.

I am in somewhat over my head, any help will be appreciated.
tks

I have a fairly simple forum I’m learning how to create. I need to add a full text search. It will need to search by post as well as topic.
The results should be sorted by relevance.
I have both rows in my table(post, topic) and am able to post to them and see them in mysqlAdmin.

Any help will be appreciated.
tks

How about place google search in your site? very simple :slight_smile:

well, I said I would try to learn to program this, so my instructor might be slightly dissapointed, (but might give me some points for thougtfullness) if I just handed him a google search…

I’m looking at “relevance” scripts now, thinking of the best way to attemp to code this thing.

have you consulted the mysql manual section on fulltext indexing yet? see http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/fulltext-search.html

did you read the manual on full text searching?

Full text searching

The preceding example is a basic illustration that shows how to       use the MATCH() function where rows are       returned in order of decreasing relevance.

Thank you all for your help. Sorry I’m late by about 4 years.:frowning: