Future of SA

Hey guys,

With the popularity of Cloud Computing, is the System Administration career going away?

USP,

Who’s going to manage “the Cloud?”

Regards,

DK

Support provided by them are just the same as a Data Centre. They will solve only the network and hardware issues. Even that takes almost 24 hours to resolve. Hence System administrator is necessary.

The only reason I asked was because of various articles on Tech Websites. Phrases such as “SA: Endangered Species”. I was also referring to an in-house server, as opposed to a off-site “cloud” solution. I want to do the former.

USP,

I’d think that, as long as there are computers (including servers) at any in-house location, SA’s would be required. If you’re looking for a field with long term security, though, the security field is growing and will continue to do so for many years. Start with poking around backtrack-linux.org.

Regards,

DK

There’ll never be a shortage of requirements for on site servers… take my office as a prime example, we don’t have the bandwidth to remote everything - all day to day stuff HAS to stay on site :slight_smile:

Someone will still have to manage the office computers etc.

I’d say the change is we’ll need more, better sysadmins. Especially ones with a more devops sort of bent to them.