General/Beginner Question about App Development

A friend and I came up with an idea for an app that I would like to build, but I am not entirely sure where to get started.

I was an SEO/internet marketing consultant for 4 years, and I am confident in my ability to build a mobile website using HTML/CSS or building a Thesis theme in Wordpress. I have minimal experience editing in PHP.

Is there another coding language I should look into before get started trying to put together an app for the Apple/Android networks?

My current idea would basically follow maps that already exist and use GPS to show where a person is on this map. It would be like using a Google map chart of a neighborhood block and let a person see himself/herself as a dot on this map as they walk around the block.

Thank you in advance. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am happy to trade consulting services if anyone is interested :smile:

Hey alabamaseo,

If you are well versed in languages like HTML5 , CSS3, JavaScript, then you can look into phonegap. Using their services, you can just code in these 3 languages and put together an app for all the markets, viz - Android, IOS, BlackBerry, Windows etc. Just code your app using these 3 languages - The tutorials can be found in phonegap site itself. Then upload your files and you will have an app for all these platforms :smile:

And if you are looking to have more dedicated and apps with specific features, it is best to code them in their native environment.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: !

You can easily do such an app in Kinetise, for both Android and iOS at once.

Here’s a tutorial on the map widget: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFn3rBx6Wo0

(Disclaimer: I work for Kinetise.)

Have a look through articles on the mobile channel, especially the work of Jay Raj we cover a lot of HTML / JS frameworks for mobile development.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.