General CMS Question

Hey everyone! I’m brand new to this forum and new to web development/design in general. The only experience I’ve had so far is with simple static HTML/CSS/jQuery websites not using CMS’s or any backend stuff. So here’s a rundown of this job I just landed: my client owns an Italian restaurant and wants to have a site made for it such that he can update the menu, news, events, etc. I was wondering which CMS I should use and how I would go about implementing it (again, I’m not very good with PHP or backend stuff). If someone could explain to me and point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Hi jelevens. Welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:

such that he can update the menu, news, events, etc.

Pretty much any CMS allows for that, so you might have to do some research and decide which one looks best to you. I suggest you look at ones like ExpressionEngine, MODx, SilverStripe, ConcreteCMS, Drupal etc.

how I would go about implementing it

That’s too big a question. First decide on a CMS to use, then look at the docs for that CMS, which will describe installation and usage. :slight_smile:

Nice! Thanks for the info.

It depends on the site quality level. If you don’t want to have many difficulties with coding it would be better to use WordPress. This CMS allows you to realize all of the noted features such as constant updates of the content.

I have got your problem. If u r not expert in PHP and Database, don’t worry. You should go for the use of a CMS like Wordpress, Drupal, Megento and many others. But for ur problem, Megento is the best option.

<snip>

Magento is bit complex if you want simple management system. All these require heavy knowledge of CMS template structure. Everything seems “easy” till you try it first time.

I think Joomla is super easy to use. I have setup simple sites in Joomla in a couple of hours. Once you are familiar with how it works I think it’s one of the easier CMSs I have ever used.