Geting a PHP/MYSQL based messaging/publishing business/system off the ground

If this is not the right place for these questions, let me know. Also, same goes if this is not the right forum.
February 19, 2014

1. The idea is simple. In response to user interest in self publishing and personalized web functions, I am resurrecting a php message system I had built/helped build in 2000. That was before "How to Build a Database Driven Web Site in PHP and MySQL. That was when PHP4.0 was in use. That was 13 years ago. Other interests prevailed and my PHP skills basically went away.
  2. The idea of this new system is quite simple, in concept. Since my skills have deteriorated to zero, I am trying to work out the right approach to building it. The idea is to have a user account on a site. That account permits users to bring up a blank memo form, very basic letterhead with text entry box. Write the letter or memo with simple pre-formatted text, submit it for processing, having created a new text file in his or her personal folder.
    The url that is returned is created by the calendar and the clock, with perhaps option to describe briefly, with short description such as initials or serial number.
  3. You may see, for example, such a system could be used to link to additional comment in boxes that limit the number of characters permitted.

Now my questions are coming up in the process of building this site, That is one reason I am posting the question here, because by discussing the topics, younger web designers may engage in something that could be important, namely,
how to structure business proposals and work flow schedules that will best serve customers. The end of my days of
active work are growing shorter.
Does anyone see a problem in building a working publishing system first, managing content such as log in, registration,
etc. by hand at first,
and then integrating the system into a secure CMS? The developer assures me that I would be wasting money approaching the project like this. I counter by saying this way I would have a demo for promotion purposes. I trust the developer, but am having trouble seeing his point.
What do you think?

So you want to build a minimum viable product (MVP) to test if you’ll have interest for it first?
It certainly would cost more money on the long run to build an MVP, manage some stuff by hand, than continue to add feature and refactor over time.
But, if the “idea” doesn’t work, you’ll lose less money. I guess it’s your call :wink:

By the way, I’m not a 100% sure I understood your idea. If you want to elaborate on it, I’ll be happy to help you a little bit more :wink:

Thank you for the reply. been occupied installing a wood stove. Just in time for summer.
Yes, that is the dilemma. I have some wonderful quotes on CMS – create account, etc. but keep coming back to
the wish to have a working demo. In late 1990’s, I had a phpmessage dot com up and working, written in php 4
and hosted with a fast service. Now that messaging has become so popular , with a couple of high profile news
items, I thought I would update the idea and try it again. The orginal php text is in storage, 1000 miles away. Not even
sure I could find it. Here is the idea:
The user has a folder. Let’s say is 4text.net/u/mog
In that folder is his personal information and an html memo form with a text box. He opens that form and enters
text to a generous limit. When he presses save, an html file is created in a sub folder. Anyone who enters that url
will see that memo. Never has the bowser left the original domain. it is simple and fast. Data is integrated into
a MySQL database.
On Twitter, the heavy hitters have their own press releases, which the link to as tiny URL. This system addresses
the the use of a quick posting service for the purpose of adding text beyond the Twitter limit with minimal middle man action.
I think that explains it.
That’s a handsome blog you have put together, xMog.
As the header indicates, not too sure how to set about having this built. I liked the look of codeplex.
Any thoughts you might have would be welcome.