Git + Bug Tracker + 3 Developers + CPanel Server, where to begin?

Greetings,

I’ve always worked solo on all my projects, but a few weeks ago I teamed up with another developer who has more experience than me but who has always worked solo as well. Lately the projects we did work on haven’t been our best as we are still trying to find a way to work at each-others pace and organize everything.

With that said:

1. We would like to use GIT
  2. We will install GIT on a dedicated server since we all work from different locations. The server itself runs CPanel. The same server hosts our website.
  3. My Partners use Windows machines, but I have OSX Snow Leopard.
  4. We develop PHP based scripts.
  5. My partner is doing so much work and making so many code changes that it’s hard for me to keep up with that they are doing whenever I want to work on the code or see what they have done.

At the current moment, since I worked mainly in the IT field and just did website development here and there and not very often… I’m not really sure how to begin setting up the proper work environment so we all can be more productive and not have to be so dependent on each other while working on our scripts.

At the moment the main tools we use are Dreamweaver and Filezilla. I’m willing to use any freely available tools if it will assist us.

I’m new to the hardcore php programming world and everything I’ve done in the past was just tweak existing codes or plugins, but nothing like the huge ongoing project we are about to begin.

So with that said:

1. Considering I’m on OSX, are there any tools besides dreamweaver I should look into that will assist me as a PHP developer? I already have an apache server running on my mac for local development.
  2. We would like to use GIT with an integrated bug tracker that can be displayed on a website. We seen these was possible with redmine.org but our server doesn’t run ruby on Rails. It’s just a normal CPANEL server.

So yea, that’s the basics of it. Any advice, suggestions, points to the correct direction, etc… will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

Do you need to host it? I’ve used GitHub and [URL=“http://www.assembla.com/”]Assembla for everything the past few years and it’s worked faily well and cheaply.

Thanks for the reply. Well we would preferably like to have it hosted as our budget is tight with other expenses to pay for another service and we want it all to remain private so only we can access the code.

I apologize for bumping this thread, but I’m still researching solutions and would still appreciate any advice, comments, or suggestions :).

In the meantime I have installed GIT on my server but have yet to begin utilizing it, so i’m not even sure if it works lol. I’m trying to get me and partners organized when it comes to development because none of us have worked on a team or on large scale projects.

I’m thinking of also installing bugzilla, but since my goal is to make organization more efficient so we can spend more time coding without losing track of what is being done… I’m in great need of advice as to where to even begin.

Thank you.

Okay scratch the bugzilla idea… Seems like unless i fully know what i’m doing it might open security risks to the server and I can’t seem to get the install to work lol.

Take a look at eclipse (eclipse.org) as your IDE, with “PDT” as your PHP-Plugin.
There should also be a plugin for GIT, but as I’m using SUbversion I’ve never searched for one.
Subversion might also be worth a look instead of GIT, it’s easy to setup and works like a charm - and there are at least two plugins for Eclipse: Subclipse and Subversive.
Integrating a bugtracker with either GIT or SVN requires good knowledge of the unerlying version controll system - so there’s no way around reading and learning.
howtoforge.com hosts lots of tutorials - I’m pretty sure there are also tuts for setting up either GIT or SVN.