Good programs to learn to be a web developer

Hello. Everyone. I would like to know what other programs are there that is helpful to gain skills to become web developer. I’m currently learning HTML5, CSS, Javascript, and JQuery. I’m pretty new to web design/development. I also heard PHP and MySQL is good program to learn. Is it good to have experience on graphic design programs such as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator? I also want to know how many daily hours does the web developers invest to keep up with their skills. I know web design and web development is different thing. Is it good idea to start as web designer and then take steps into coding? Your answer would be very appreciated. Thank you.

BTW those two web pages that I created with PNG files that I created from adobe program and coding with HTML and CSS. Followed some other designer’s styles. See what you think and I would love to have constructive feedback.

The first two languages a web developer would learn would be JavaScript and PHP (or whatever server side language their server supports). The next thing to learn would be a database of some sort (commonly mySQL if you learn PHP).

You need to know what the html tags are and the basics of CSS so that you know how to interact with them from JavaScript but you’d rely on the web designer to actually produce the HTML and CSS for the page. While a designer might use Photoshop or Illustrator, a developer wouldn’t be creating any images at all and so would not have any need to ever open either of those programs while working on web development tasks.

It is extremely rare for someone to be both a good web designer and a good web developer - the talent required for these two completely different roles are seldom both found in the one person.

If you decide to become a web designer rather than a web developer then forget jQuery , PHP and so on - all you really need then is HTML, CSS, the basics of JavaScript so you can understand what the web developer you are working with needs in the HTML and CCSS for the scripts to work and then move on to graphics design etc - which is where Photoshop and Illustrator might be useful to know.

To be a web developer, I heard good portfolio is needed. How would web developers create their portfolios? Would they team up with the web designers to make their portfolios? BTW, which position would be better in the future? web design or web developer?

So basically, web developers organize the layout of the designed pages by coding?

@kmnzombie843;

Be aware that we have a Review & Critiques forum where you can have feedback about your designs. You do need to comply with the additional rules of that forum so read them first.

Although I approved your images, no feedback can be provided here.

got it.

Good developer also available software to learn web development.

It`s best to have solid knowledge of CSS and HTML, and then learn PHP & MySql and Javascript, as these are the main programming languages used. You have to focus either on design or programming in order to be good in today’s competitional environment.

Hi kmnzombie843,

I think you need to know:

• HTML & CSS –> for layout
  • A graphic program like Adobe Photoshop or GIMP –> for layout
  • PHP –> to insert business code

We have developed several websites with the knowledge mentioned above.

Kind Regards,
Johan Santamaria
ICTBoost Webdesign

how web developer could create his portfolio ? if someone is more into technical side, his website wont look nice, and portfolio not going to be attractive, even though he might be very good coder, but he wont attract any clients, jobs because of lack of creative side.
What would you recommend, how to create a good portfolio?

Just see what you`re confortable with , either programming or designing and focus on one. For programming PHP is the most used and Java. Best of luck!

Excellent advice

to be a good developer or designer learn some frameworks and tools for fast coding. you can use good IDE like netbeans or aptana(or atleast codelobsster) to speed up web development.
and learn frameworks like codeigniter or zend.
to be a good designer use tools like dreamweaver,photoshop,bluegriffon(free),gimp(free),illutrator etc.
you have to win in a society where speed maters

Nice advise. I think You have to concentrate third party tools how to manage Third Party software risks and how to use debugging tools when they are stable. Are you agree with me?

First decide which thing rejoice you if u like web development then jump for it else go for design