Google +1 Button is available for your site!

Hi, the +1 Google button is now available to embed on your sites, I’ve received an email today…

You can get the button here: http://www.google.com/webmasters/+1/button/

The full email on my blog:
<snip>

Honestly, do you think it’s going to work? Because at the moment it’s so useless… One needs to be loggued in to click it, and then what will it do? It will show in your “buzz” google account, for those few who use this social feature and… that’s about it really…

Will google search engine use this for ranking? I doubt so, but what do I know…

So it won’t be useful but you’ll see +1 button popping everywhere on all sites, like if it was an important thing… Internet is so sad sometimes…

Anyway, I don’t have time I need to edit my sites to add the +1 button hahahaha!

YouTube - ‪Introducing the +1 Button‬‏

When you hear Google it’s tempting to think SEO but this is very much a social and search endorsement play.

There are some serious drawbacks to the tool… not logged in, nothing shows up [and outside of gmail users how many people are really logged in to google 24x7]. No facebook likes or tweets are counted so it’s starting at zero. If you don’t put it front & center on the page the only way to get a +1 is if someone clicks a result, likes it, clicks back to google and then +1s there unlike facebook or twitter where they can just post the link.

There are plus sides too… imagine searching results and #4 has 200 "+1"s while results 1-3 only have 20. You just became more relevant. Related that to your social circle and the potential extension [TedS +1’d this too!] and you get soft endorsements.

Google may be a powerful force but like all social sharing buttons, it works by critical mass or not at all. The next few weeks will show us just how much mass they can attract with their logged-in limits.

Google’s code is screwing up my html validation :frowning:

<!-- Place this tag where you want the +1 button to render -->
<g:plusone></g:plusone>

Any work arounds?

If you don’t put it front & center on the page the only way to get a +1 is if someone clicks a result, likes it, clicks back to google and then +1s there unlike facebook or twitter where they can just post the link.

Meh.
Just clickjack them.
Anyone visiting your page who happens to be logged into teh googles will give your page sweet sweet +1 love.

When I first saw this on a blog. I simply thought that since the old one screwed up Google made some tweaking here and there to make people interested. Good thinking but why I have this feeling that will also have its epic fail.

You can also use a DIV or some other element: Adding the +1 button to your site - +1 button API - Google Code

any wordpress plugin for this?

Can’t imagine the time when google uses the +1 button ratings in their ranking algos…

Apparently they’re already considering (or maybe doing) that.

If you’re logged in, any sites that have been +1’d by your friends and contacts may be elevated in the search results.

I got to study more about Google +1. Thank you for the sharing. I am consider an amateur in Google :slight_smile:

s/friends and contacts/4chan

muhahahaha

nice info on Google +1… how many you are feel that google will consider +1 in SERP algo…? whats your opinion on that?

Because of the reason I mentioned above, I believe Google would be stupid to… though possibly they might for users who have that setting when they’re logged in… where they can set what kinds of results they get? (personalised search?).

But regular vanilla results? It would not be smart, unless they want spam and sushi robot monsters and pedobear to be at the top of all their searches.