Google Analytics and Webmasters Tools

Analytics and Webmasters Tools: both Google but do they talk to each other?

If I look at my Google Analytics for a certain period I see 373 “Organic New Visitors”.

If I go to Webmasters Tools and choose the same period in Search Traffic/Search Analytics I get a list of queries with a column showing the number of clicks. If I add those clicks I get 108.

Why this difference?

Because the criteria they follow is different and the concepts too.

One is talking to you about visitors which may arrive to you directly or through other sources (search engines, other websites, etc). They’re organic so you didn’t had to pay ads to get that traffic.

It looks like webmasters tools is showing you the traffic that got to you via search engines or websites so you can see which channel drives the most traffic for you. You can check then if a particular text or campaign was successful or maybe you can have information about the type of visitor of that site and their interests and what drives them to your site, what they visit.

There I have to agree with you, but for different reasons. It seems to me that GA accounts for visitors to the site, and the figures I quoted are for organic traffic, NOT direct; while, I can only imagine, that WT is not referring to visitors but to Search queries. For some reason it could be that they do not get the info from everybody (why shouldn’t they?) and therefore their numbers are much smaller. They will not include Bing and the others, but the percentage I get of those is minimal.

Your explanation does not account to the fact that WT’s figures are less than a third of GA’s. each organic visitor typed in a query, so the numbers should be very similar.

Google Analytics and Web Master tool both are different from each other, some tools like Google Analytics, track traffic only from users who have enabled JavaScript in their browser. Web Master Tool is very helpful to analysis the website and also for doing the On-page of website.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.