Google app engine website - good idea?

I have an person who wants to create a site on google app engine.
Was wondering if that is a good idea? seems a bit cumbersome for website. I think it would be static only?
And i would have to install eclipse, get the plugin, etc…
Has anyone else here done that could offer their impression of the experience?
thx
D

1. If it’s just a basic small website, that’s probably overkill.
  2. Why would you need Eclipse specifically?

If it’s just a small website, especially if it’s just basic static files, I wouldn’t bother with App Engine, myself.

Hi, didn’t investigate app engine in depth, but it looks like that is something you might need to develop there? I could be totally incorrect as i have not used it.
As is I don’t think they were very clear on what/where they wanted to do it either.

pdx,

If this person is a client of yours, I’d recommend that you drop them ASAP (for specifications without knowing what they want). If a friend, find out why.

My experience with canned apps that claim to be WYSIWYG website generators is that they create horrible code (convoluted and full of unnecessary code which make the pages slow to load and then display) so I keep as far away as possible. I extend this to canned apps like WordPress but, with them, it’s for two reasons: Very difficult to maintain (chasing through modules to find where to alter code) and frequent updates are required to stay ahead of the hackers that find it a favorite (and easy?) target.

Regards,

DK

If this person is a client of yours, I’d recommend that you drop them ASAP (for specifications without knowing what they want). If a friend, find out why.

It’s definitely good advice to find out why they want this. Many clients simply want something because they heard about it, and could be given different advice or direction.

My experience with canned apps that claim to be WYSIWYG website generators is that they create horrible code (convoluted and full of unnecessary code which make the pages slow to load and then display) so I keep as far away as possible.

This is clearly not what GAE is (WYSIWYG editor canned app). I’d strongly encourage you to not give a sort of “expert opinion” to the OP if you don’t know anything about the technology in question.

I extend this to canned apps like WordPress but, with them, it’s for two reasons: Very difficult to maintain (chasing through modules to find where to alter code)

I disagree that Wordpress is any more difficult to maintain as far as finding code to alter - it’s just a matter of knowing Wordpress. The same with any framework or CMS or even custom made system. You just have to know the system and understand it to be quick and efficient with it.

frequent updates are required to stay ahead of the hackers that find it a favorite (and easy?) target.

This, though, is definitely true of Wordpress - it’s so popular that it’s a very large target for script kiddies and hackers. Although, discussing WP vulnerabilities are completely off topic from the OP :smiley:

Hello all, it was a possible potential client, but they were very unclear on what they wanted, where they wanted etc so I did advs I might be available when they clarified things a bit. And yeah my impression is that one person used google analytics, saw a free google website in app engine and thougth it was a great idea.

I use wp and am ok w/it. What @jeffreylees said about it.

Wouldn’t mind eventually to try appEngine but right now don’t have the time for it. And don’t want to start an unclear, unfocused project on it.
You all have a great day
D

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.