Google Buzz - New (Gmail) social-networking feature

Well, I’m surprised not to see any thread on this already, but it looks like google has launched its own twitter-killing networking app:

Google Buzz is a new way to start conversations about the things you find interesting. It’s built right into Gmail, so you don’t have to peck out an entirely new set of friends from scratch — it just works. If you think about it, there’s always been a big social network underlying Gmail. Buzz brings this network to the surface by automatically setting you up to follow the people you email and chat with the most. We focused on building an easy-to-use sharing experience that richly integrates photos, videos and links, and makes it easy to share publicly or privately (so you don’t have to use different tools to share with different audiences). Plus, Buzz integrates tightly with your existing Gmail inbox, so you’re sure to see the stuff that matters most as it happens in real time.
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/introducing-google-buzz.html

Buzz doesn’t operate so much like twitter as like friendfeed, which many (myself included) think is the better of the two as it pulls in your posts and updates from other social websites: flickr, youtube, lastfm, etc.

If you think about it, there’s always been a big social network underlying Gmail
Really? I thought it was just email. That’s how I’ve been using it for the last 5 years. :stuck_out_tongue:

I noticed it had been added to my account last night. I don’t really spend anytime in my email account though, so I’m unsure that it will be of any use to me.

• I don’t necessarily want to share stuff with my clients. As I’m unsure if any of them share the same interests as I do. Can’t say I really email alot of my friends as I know their phone numbers and they are on my messenger already.

don’t like it

im not liking it either, and there doesnt appear to be a way to uninstall it either… Thanks google

So its not really unistalling it but if you don’t see it and don’t use it, is there any harm?

Settings -> Labels

Then select to hide ‘Buzz’

Yes, Good news to all friends…

Now Google Goes Social with Google Buzz with good features like automatically follow the people you email and chat with them,Publish your ideas across the world or just to your closest friends,See thumbnails with each post, and browse full-screen photos from popular sites and many more useful feature with Google Buzz…

It’s a little link in your footer.

You RAWK!!! :slight_smile:

I don’t really see any usefulness when it comes to Google Buzz. It seems like Twitter but limited to my Google list. Maybe I’m just jumping the gun here and haven’t yet seen the light. :slight_smile:

Not quite surprising…that they were planning to launch after the Yahoo Buzz or whatever… but I assume this won’t be a big Buzz for them as i don’t see a new concept to it…

I hate how they have automatically included some of the people as followers even when I haven’t approved them…

Service launch by big companies doesnt mean that they have to be successful… Google Video is a fail concept and for this reason they bought Youtube… I won’t be surprised if they plan to buy twitter now with this buzz…!

I just don’t see the point in combining all - I’m using different social media sites for certain things.

I turned it off 5 minutes after it came online in my account - my inbox is already a distraction…

I should have mentioned that this is the first Google product I haven’t liked, so I’m not a hater.

Google has always been ahead of the time and a leader in innovation. Buzz is different.

I don’t want it or need it. Google usually develops interesting and useful apps but this is not one of them.

Maybe it will change, but as of right now, I just don’t see any need for this.

Is of no use to me. They are a little late to the social party if you ask me. This is not the “Buzz” you hear before something exciting, it is that annoying buzz after everything is dead.

I think its more annoying than anything, i don’t want an icon under my inbox.

Do not like it. Is this going to grow into Google Wave or whatever its called?

I don’t like it either, and I don’t like how I was automatically opted into it without me actually opting into it.

What I really don’t like is how Google Reader is turning into a hybrid of an RSS reader (great), a social network and a place with “following” - a bit like a hybrid of Digg and Twitter. I’ve tried to make it as private and standalone as possible, but I still get crap about people “following” me, and suggestions of people to follow. I don’t want to follow anyone, I don’t want anyone following and I don’t want to “share” stuff! I just want it to be an RSS reader, like it was before.

Same, I really don’t see the point of it to be honest.