Google Chrome Frame

I guess I don’t really see the point in this, as more advanced IE users could just simply upgrade to chrome if they really cared about all of it’s features and less advanced users will never know this exists and if they do come across it, they won’t understand it’s purpose or they would be using another browser already. :stuck_out_tongue:

Can someone explain to me the purpose of this?

I guess for those who can’t upgrade from IE6 because their company intranet requires it there ia a remote possibility that they might be able to get the company IT support to install the plugin. Probably no grater chance than that the IT support will allow an alternative browser to be installed though.

If they were to install it then their staff would be able to use both the company intranet and modern web sites using the same browser.

I love the idea, it’s a shame it’s plugin dependant… if Google released a JavaScript framework which simulated the same rendering power (by manipulating how code is dealt with) it could possibly resolve the problem, but needing an installed plugin and requiring developers to push something into the header makes it very difficult to see it becoming successful for most people. I do like the idea all the same though, being able to inject a new rendering engine into an existing browser. :slight_smile:

The good thing about this, as this guy points out, is that people don’t have to learn a whole new UI. Password manager, cookies - everything is just like it was with IE, the only difference is what’s under the bonnet. So you could probably install it and a lot of people wouldn’t even notice.

Raffles, are you thinking what I am thinking? Google Chrome Virus… spreads like wildfire with the explicit aim of hunting down IE6 installs and dropping the plugin over the top to protect people from themselves! You could wipe out half the security risks and exploitable holes in a matter of weeks :stuck_out_tongue: :lol: j/k

M$ warns IE users to not install GCF add on: http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/09/microsoft-google-chrome-frame-makes-ie-less-secure.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

It apparently makes IE less secure. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well MS is correct in that it creates more attack vectors (IE, the plugin architecture, and Chrome) but if we’re throwing that baby out with the bathwater you might as well disable Flash and Acrobat and all the other plugins that make any desktop PC browser usable.

I must admit the thought did cross my mind!

With Google Chrome Frame, you can do:

• Start using open web technologies - like the HTML5 canvas tag - right away, even technologies that aren’t yet supported in IE 6, 7, or 8.
    • Take advantage of JavaScript performance improvements to make your apps faster and more responsive.

really? let me take a look at that and be back to you later :slight_smile:
thanks.