Google I/O opinions?

Depending on your time zone you’ve likely had time to digest news from Google I/O by now and we’re hoping to have a more detailed round up next week.

What were your highlights, lowlights, disappointments, expectations?

1 Like

So I didn’t get to watch a whole lot of it, I uh, had other things to do … like cough more responses for jarvis cough, but what I did see was very interesting. I caught the tail end of EAVE and then saw the whole announcement over Google Photos (very cool!)

I saw bits and pieces of Google Inbox and went “eh”. Then Jen popped on and I got easily distracted by other things (as it didn’t capture my attention well). Then I was in meetings and heading home, so I didn’t get to see anything after that.

I liked the most:

• Offline Maps (Aimed at developing countries)
  • Google Photos (photos app in android and iOS with unlimited free photo storage/organization)
  • Google Now on Tap - integration with other apps and Google Now. So, you can bring up Google Now (home button) while looking at an email about a topic and Now will be displaying pertinent info and links about (that thing).

I also didn’t get to watch most of it, just caught bits of live blogs and bits of recaps after, so I probably missed something big.

I listened to a good bit of the Keynote yesterday. My honest opinion was that it was just kinda boring. They just didn’t have very many things stood out or I thought was cool. Probably because a lot of it was focused on making the subtle things better, which together make the whole overall experience top tier… which is really what is important and something we should all pay attention to and work to get better at.

The only thing that really stood out was the unlimited cloud storage on Google Photos. I messed with the new app this morning and it’s pretty nice. I didn’t really need it, because I sync to Dropbox, but extra backups won’t hurt.

Also, this was released. I don’t know if this was in the Keynote or not, if it was I missed it:

The videos and page are very interesting. I don’t know if I buy into the whole Material Design thing, but I think they are right on some core concepts.

Such as the UK, where you still struggle to get any signal in many rural areas, let alone 3/4G.

Yeah, it’s the same thing here (U.S.) in a lot of rural areas.

Still, it’s much worse in many areas of the world, which, from what I read, is the main focus. It just so happens that it benefits me when I’m in a crappy service area, too :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.