There's no such thing as a straight forward answer with Google+ or Google+ Local (formerly known as Google Places).
1) Create a Google+ Business Page anyway
2) As the article demonstrates, you need links going to your Google+ Local pages. Reviews too, as these are a ranking factor. As is your proximity to the center of the town you are located in.
3) You also need citations. Citations are where your business is mentioned, including its full address on directory sites, business listing sites (like Yell.com and Thompson Local)
4) Somehow Google picks up all the citations to learn that your business is in a particular location.
5) Make sure that your Google+ Local listing has been verified so that it appears in the right spot for Google Maps as well.
This stuff can takes AGES for Google to actually update.
So it's best to do most of the work, then build a few Business Listings and Reviews to your pages every month.
But the results/changes will not be quick!