Google page linked to twitter (Autoupdate)

I’ve had people tell me its good to link these two and others (webinars and conferences) say that it isnt necessarily good because if you post heavily in your facebook fan page you end up spamming your twitter followers. That and i’ve noticed all they get is a condensed title and a link.

so what is folks opinions? good to have twitter auto update and tweet whenever you make a post on your fanpage? or better to manually send out those tweets about your fanpage updates yourself? Albeit time consuming

I used to use all of the linking options but ended up with multiple redundancies everywhere! These days I just put things where I think they’ll get the most interest.

I’m just leery of spamming my followers. Although i am somewhat “lazy” and do like the auto tweeting aspect :wink:

There’s a few issues at hand here that you need to understand…

1. When you automate you are by definition not participating and thus only broadcasting. At best this is a bad form of social and at worst you miss, or even create, a disaster through inaction. Social is not about one way messages.

2. Every platform is different and while you may have one remark, it needs to be made to fit. Twitter is 140 characters - RT room. Facebook allows more than twice that and while optimal performance is closer to 200, that’s still a lot more room. The way photos, links & tagging also changes… A hashtag in your facebook post makes no sense.

3. People follow multiple channels thus if all you do is post the exact same thing across the board you offer no value for each and decrease participation even further.

4. Being successful in social requires time. Being effective is smart, doing what’s easiest for you is not effective or smart however.

And if you’re concerned about your Facebook posts flooding Twitter you have it all backwards. Facebook should be 1 or 2 posts a day at most while Twitter can support more given it’s real time, short-form flow [although more does not mean dozens either].

Thanks Ted, no our facebook posts are about 1 a day. Sometimes 1 every other day. Although I do think our blog auto updates there as well which is 2-4 posts a week as well. It just dawned on me the other day when i looked inside twitter when i saw we were having all sorts of new followers that our “broadcasts” look…unnatural…the condensed titles with links … and being that we are new to all of this we’ve had as of yet little action with others besides a handful of comments. So in short i need to treat twitter/pinterest etc as i would a real world networking event. build relationships and interact.