Google tracks searches, even when you don't think it is

From http://www.benedelman.org/news/012610-1.html

Even if you disable the Google toolbar, it will continue to track your searches/pages viewed if you EVER had the enhanced features turned on.

Another way how Google personalized search results can be shown even if you think you’ve turned off any way for Google to track you.

Slowly but surely google is taking over the world!! No but seriously, is there anything that google cannot do?

tke71709, that’s because when you use the toolbar it enables the search history function of Google. Disabling the software doesn’t stop the web based service because it functions while your logged in, it’s not something built into the toolbar itself (it runs externally via Google’s web portal). You can easily turn off search history by logging into your account and going to the search history section, it’s not rocket science and it surprises me that you weren’t aware that it existed. :rolleyes:

Whether I can do it is one thing, whether your average person can do so, and whether, ethically, you should stop doing something once a piece of software is uninstalled is another question entirely.

If you install a piece of software, and as part of that install I agree to allow you to do something else (e.g. monitor my Internet usage like the Google toolbar does) then when I uninstall said software you should stop doing that IMHO.

Funny. You said you disabled the toolbar, that is a VERY different thing than un-installing it. :slight_smile:

Googles trying to capture all teh possible data in the world that it can!!
this might be a possible danger to internet community all over the world.