Google's New Search Design

Is anyone else seeing this…?

I am thinking this is new… I saw it earlier today, it seems to have reverted back now but not before I took some screenshots.

http://fahims.com/blog/2010/02/05/google-updates-search-interface-finally/

That’s actually a few months, if not a year old. It’s one of many different designs Google has tested. They test new designs by showing them to only 1 in X0,000 searchers. Most people will never notice yet they get enough information to eventually decide what changes had positive or negative impacts.

Ah, I see.

Thanks for the informative response.

The link is not working.

I also thought that Google had released a new design when I cam across this a week ago. I hope they do release it permanently because I really like how it looks.

Good lord, I got hit with that just now! I came here to see if anyone else had the problem. ARG!

What’s weird is I can go to google.us (which is google.com) and get it, and go to google.nl and not get it, but my colleague sitting right next to me cannot get it on either.

I really really HATE the top menu being copied now to a sidebar which wastes my screen space. The very freakin same menu is already sitting right on the top!! Are people complaining to google that they can’t find the “images” section??? I want it GONE.

One of my few reasons for using Google is it’s easier on the eyes than cluttered crap like Yahoo.

If only ixquick could give the same results as google… : (

They test new designs by showing them to only 1 in X0,000 searchers.

Hopefully this means tomorrow it will be gone. I’ll sleep with crossed fingers and keep my google-guys voodoo doll close at hand in case it’s still there tomorrow.

Clear your cookies from the google domain, I believe it’s a cookie that they set on a small portion of requests that dictates which design you see.

Funnily enough, right before seeing that weird google page, I had just cleared my cache and everything, because FF for some reason was keeping me logged into SitePoint (even though I log out and never never let a browser remember my password). So, I did another one, and google is back to normal. Thanks.

I see.