Grammar: than we are

The sentence below seems wrong to me, but I’m not sure how to improve it…

1. Thumbs up to co-workers who are more aware of office politics than I.
  2. Thumbs up to co-workers who are more aware of office politics than us.

That might work.

I think this is okay, but it sounds like it is missing an ending…

I want to say the ending is implied, as in…

Wake up @ralphm! :smile:

This means co-workers are more aware of office politics than they are aware of us. You need to use ‘we’ here if you want it to mean what I think you want it to mean.

3 Likes

Here is a new sentence, but same problem bolded

Is that grammatically correct or not?

And could it be improved?

Rather than posting new sentences asking “is that correct”, it might be more helpful if you state which part of the sentence you think is incorrect. That way, somebody can explain the relevant grammar.

And in what way do you want the sentence to be improved? Ids this a hypothetical question about grammatical structure, or do you want the actual content of that sentence rephrased?

Just add a comma

See correction above.

In post #5 is a sentence that is closer to what I wanted to say than in my OP.

I like the structure, but am unsure if the bolded ending is correct.

HTH

To me it’s the “who are” that seems off. I’d use “that are”

It is wrong. In English you should never end a sentence with a verb. So you can’t end it with ‘is’ or ‘are’.

And so how would you fix this…

[quote]
Thumbs up to a co-worker who was more aware of what was transpiring in the meeting than I was.[/quote]

you have the last two words backwards.

“than was I” is correct English.

Both wrong I’m afraid, John. What you’re saying there is that the cow-orkers are more aware of office politics than they are of me/us (and so in the first example, it would have to be ‘me’ rather than ‘I’). In other words, “they know lots about office politics, but they don’t know much about us”.

There’s nothing wrong with ending a sentence with a verb. To be honest, I can’t see anything wrong with Mikey’s original sentence, and I am a grammar überpedant.

5 Likes

Nope … that changes the meaning and indicates that we are thanking all cow-orkers, because all cow-orkers are more aware of office politics than we are.

Leaving the comma out means that we are only thanking the cow-orkers who are more aware of office politics than we are, and we’re not thanking the dopey ones who don’t know what’s going on.

1 Like

Oddly curious where that might not be true… :wink:

Thumbs up to co-workers whose awareness of office politics is greater than ours.

better or worse?

Personally i think any sentence beginning with 'thumbs up to… ’ is probably not going to be something to worry too much about the grammar :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really like your suggestion the best, @noppy. It seems to be correct and is much more professional sounding (if professional is a criteria).

1 Like

No possible misunderstanding with this one, but it’s a bit wordy.

Thumbs up to co-workers whose awareness of office politics is greater than our awareness of office politics.

Thumbs up to the co-workers who are more aware about office politics than me.
Accroding to me the above is grammatically correct. :thumbsup:

what does that word mean - presumably that what follows is incorrect.