Graph database for social network

I am doing a system similar to a social network. The number max of users must be eventually 50.000 or 70.000 at best.

At the moment i am using mysqli+prepared statments. The ERD have now 30 tables, eventually may reach to 40 tables.

So, my question is: i never used a graph database…i have the ERD done by mysql workbench and some code already developed. For the number expected of the users in this project, is recommended change from MySQL to a graph database? my sql code and database model can be availed? there is any advantage with this change?

what do you think ?

thanks

what’s a graph database?

well i never use a graph database.

So, if i will have some advantage i will choose one of them.

where did you hear about a graph database?

i read that facebook, twitter, google, amazon, they use graph databases.

my question is in my case, there is some advantage over mysqli and prepared statements ?

oh, that :slight_smile:

sorry, i have no experience with this

does this help? -> Need a graph database like Twitter is built on? (YouTube)

i would say for you to try using a graph database would be quite ambitious

the first thing you’re going to want to do is define your requirements for the relationships

at the moment i have a big problem. Some people recommend me move to Allegrograph (i never used), other people to use PostgreSQL because the recursive queries (i never used) and other tells to me to read Joe Celko’s Trees and Hierarchies in SQL for Smarties (Morgan Kaufmann, 2004)

i am completely lost. :blush:

like i said, i don’t know any graph databases

but i do know about celko’s nested set model, and it’s intended for a hierarchy

you didn’t mention what you’re doing, but if it’s not actually a graph but just a hierarchy, then that’d be the way to go – you get to use mysql, too

i have the database diagram in Attach.

Actually normal users can fallow other users and can fallow company’s, and can answer to job offers. A company can fallow a normal user too.

In future, users can may belong to a department x or y belongs to a group.

this part is the problem.