Graphic designing vs web development - Career decision!

Well the industries with the most openings, highest salaries and future growth are those within science, technology, engineering and mathematics. Therefore, I don’t think it is a stretch to say the *better choice would be web development. Look it up if you want to. The economist are referring to these key/hot industries as STEM. Also, if you just do a search for salaries and compare there is a significant difference between what graphic designers make and what programmers make. Not to mention there are so many designers out there who can’t even find jobs because graphic design jobs are very hard to come by. That isn’t to say graphic design is lesser than web development but if you are asking which one is better the economy says web development.

If all you are doing is HTML, CSS and JQuery then you are more of a web designer rather than a web developer (since a web developer is also involved in databases and server side coding).

Web design (including photoshop, illustrator, HTML and CSS) requires very different skills from web development and very few people are good at both. As you say you don’t much like JQuery then you are unlikely to b e someone who is good at web development.

With regard to web design, there are jobs such as the one you have working primarily with HTML and CSS and jobs that mostly use photoshop and illustrator. Many designer jobs would also involve both. The shifts back and forth between the image and coding aspects of web design are relatively minor compared to the shift between design and development. So you might move from a mainly HTML job to a mainly Photoshop job to one that is about 50/50 over a period of time and still call yourself a web designer in all of those positions. Yes the tools are different between the jobs but the necessary aptitude toward being able to design web pages is the same for each.

If you were actually looking at web development (where an aptitude for programming is what is needed rather than an aptitude for design) then the move would be a much bigger one and you’d need to look at whether you really have the abilities to move from one to the other.

choose your job which one satisfying you!..

I don’t argue with that

My point is simply that heading to a career just because of the salary is a mistake. If you end up doing something that you don’t like you will not make a lot of money because you will not do enough effort to earn the big bucks. And you’d be hating your life (after all, you’ll pass a min. of 8 hours a day working)

Also, even if you do put that effort and if you do like the job, if you don’t know how to sell yourself and negotiate your salary, you’re stuck in the same problem.

Yeah, In the US it is a fact that STEM jobs have higher demand and salaries than all others. I agree that you shouldn’t simply choose a career based on earning potential. Though I would say that based on the economy it would be *smart to cut a practical and emotional balance when choosing a career. Especially, with something like graphic design where the number of unemployed graduates in that field is very high. Nothing against design but designers these days are a dime a dozen. Choosing design as a career is a very risky move. Especially, if you are not all that great and unable to network. Where as, industries with high demand allow those with average or perhaps even below average skill to make a decent living while also improving their skill. Notice I threw the word decent in there because hanging around on crowdsourcing sites because you can’t find a design job is no way to make a living and is not sustainable in the long-term. Especially, as the economy gets better and people start waking up moving jobs back on shore. That isn’t to say many designers make a great living but I think there are far more people who call themselves designers out there that are unemployed or with a very low salary than those making a good living on graphic design alone.

We recommend you to choose Web Development as website development got wider scopes as compared to website design. CMS Development like Drupal, Wordpress, Joomla are very popular these days. So , there is alot of scope in web development.