Graphics competition - you interested?

after reading your last post I tried to do something with that approach… lol… here is what I came out with… And since I’m posting another idea, that justifies this conversation and this thread is no longer hijacked… :slight_smile: that’s my story, and I’m sticking to it!
try not to laugh too much… OH!! and some of those images inside the orb have a copyright on it, but I doubt this will be used anyways…

oops lost the attachement, I wanted to replace it, so I edited the post… I removed the file to replace it, and removed it but then didn’t complete the edit process because of a 30 minutes time period. So I ended up with a post without the attachement. I believe I just found a bug in Vbulletin. If I can’t edit, I shouldn’t be allowed to edit anything.

anyways… here the attachement again

Ha, why would I laugh? It is cute. But why did you use those images that are not yours? Right? Or did I misunderstand that? Don’t count yourself out from the start :slight_smile:

If I may point out something: You used two different styles in your image, one is the slick button, the other is the cartoon. They are not quite compatible with each other. Consistency is always a big factor in visual work. Style is one of those things that belongs into the fundamental arsenal of a designer :slight_smile: an integral part of creativity. The button should have been a circle drawn in the same style as the cartoons, that would make it more unified.

You can be eclectic in your work (I am), but each image must have this consistency. It is amazing how people can sense these things but can not express them.

This competition has no theme, anything goes ?

No, not really. Read the first post by HAWK. She describes quite clearly what she is looking for. Not specific though, you must interpret what she seeks. The job of a designer :slight_smile:

I have no preconceived idea of what it might look like so you have free reign to use your imagination.

Anything does go…!

I have no artistic skills but as there don’t seem to be hundreds of entries, i thought i’d give it a go, (also 25th march is my birthday) so i thought i might be in with a chance (or not)

The second was supposed to be a spaceship but well um even stick figures are challeging for me

You can use any style or approach that you wish, but it should relate to what Sarah is doing with it.

I actually like what Nigel did he could remove the real face and make it a sketch of her face :slight_smile:

They are certainly hilarious! I do like the concept but yeah, perhaps not using my face would be better :wink:

I may enter, just thinking … :slight_smile:

Ok here goes without the face.

As I said i am not a designer, so it looks like a mutant orange thingie

Just as an example. The ninja should represent an expert, for those who don’t have a clue. However, this is just an example, and yes, some people can do it better, though here some ideas for those who are the better ones:

Try to add some expert-related web design stuff, like “CSS-Guru” icons, etc. to the logo, that should be a more likely eye-catcher. :slight_smile:

I will probably enter over the weekend. :wink:

Perhaps a competition at 99Designs might get you more varied responses?

:slight_smile: I guess it’s how we see it, to me the orb (orange) is a cartoon also, it represents the forum, a community. But now i see how it can be interpreted as real looking. I wanted to make it look 3D-ish so I used gradients on it. I guess you would use hard edges with different shades of the same color to make it look more cartoonish? On the other hand if someone would want real people in there that would be easy to do.

As far as the images go, no they are not mine, I couldn’t draw those if I tried. The only one that is copyrighted is the one with the chalkboard. I figured if Hawk would ever wanted to use it she could spend the $10-$15 (dont quote me on that) to buy the clip art.

Finally, say Hawk would use something I did, I don’t want anything… no link back to my site. I’m doing this because I’m bored, I’m sitting at my desk in the administration building of a school board and everybody’s gone on holidays. Tough life I have… :wink:

I really want this to be about the forum, by the forum. I’m not necessarily looking for something slick and professional - although some of the entries here are certainly that.

You can make a collage of all the entries… that will take care of your first part of the statement (about the forum, by the forum)… and if it looks terrible then you got nothing to worry about because of the 2nd part of your statement ( not necessarily looking for something slick and professional) :slight_smile:

b.t.w. Datura… I think nigelt74’s little men would fit very well in the orb, with Hawks’ face because then the duo format exists in both approach :slight_smile:

It is difficult for me here to get really involved with suggestions. I look at all these things with a professional eye. It is also not really my place to comment much, the decision is up to HAWK and what she wants as representation for her goals :slight_smile:

Here’s an idea I came up with.