Great Switching Linux Experience

You are absolutely correct on that.

And that is one of the things I do regularly with the Mac. I am always in Terminal and using applications like VIM on my MacBook Pro. But, of course, I am a developer.

Vim is a little too advanced for me. I use Bluefish for doing html and css or for snippets I used gedit in Ubuntu and pluma (which is much the same) is the default text editor in Mint. I’m getting better at doing stuff in the terminal, but not quite sure of adding html or css. One of these days I will finish learning javascript and php and then I’ll move on to python. It appears to be a very interesting and easy programming language.

One thing I like about the Linux text editors I’ve tried is that they will highlight the syntax.

All of this is true :slight_smile: Even the part of mastering IRQs, wow that was messy.

Don’t you think that it is good for people to experience the different O.S.es like you have ParkinT to really find out what best works for their needs, budgets, and technical levels? It sounds like you have so again I never thought of Mac fanboy just glad your liking it :smiley:

The Linux command line is faster for setting network connections and VPNs, rebooting, diagnosing networking problems, piping the contents of a GREP search to a text files so you can save and later iterate over it. The command line searching is just amazing and the diff capabilities are good for certain program file and code comparisons. I use the command line quite alot - it is the fourth most used application; Web Browser, Eclipse, Thunderbird, Command Line…

I absolutely agree with you!
And that brings us back to my original point. Since I have been [forced?] using Windows7 recently I realize that it is quite a hog. It seems slow, tedious and overly “pretty”.
They have focused TOO MUCH effort on appearance and clever animations.

I promise to post NO MORE NEGATIVE THINGS about Windows (in this thread).

But let me end with this clever thing I have presented to every class of developers I teach worldwide.

True… nice that you don’t even have to run in X in Linux and you can turn off all the hoggy eye candy stuff :slight_smile:

That is priceless :D!

Even I understood that one! :lol: (Do you think I’m turning into a nerd? — Hope that’s still the appropriate word? I am so behind the times!)

Most people on sitepoint for a fairly significant time could be classified as nerds. This really is not a bad thing… the old vision of nerd is much different than the new nerd :slight_smile:

That’s what I thought. I didn’t want to insult anyone, but I didn’t mean it as an insult. I think I should get a badge of honor! :lol:

You deserve a badge! :smiley:

My badge is tarnished. :frowning:

Right now its 6:30 a.m. and I have been up all night Thought I’d post this just in case anyone else does the same thing I did.

I decided to take Ubuntu off and let Mint use up my whole disk. The taking Ubuntu off was okay since I already had my computer booting directly to Mint. However, I moved my Mint partition forward and then resized it. BAD IDEA!

Grub was gone and only showed in an Error 22.

Luckily I did have GParted Live on a flash drive (maybe not so lucky… that’s how I moved partitions etc.) I could neither boot my sytem or mount the Mint partition, which is now the only partition on my hard drive.

The nice thing about GParted is that it has a small browser and a terminal as well as the GParted Program. I was able to connect to the Internet and so started my journey of looking for solutions. After spending the next 7 hours trying one thing and then another that didn’t work, I finally ran across this tutorial How to Recover Grub to Linuxl that did, I was able to mount my partition and reinstall Grub in less than 30 minutes.

Ed described my experience as looking over the canyon wall and saying, “It’s not really that high” and then jumping. So, if anyone is daft enough to make the mistake I did, I’ve left the link for you as a ladder out of the canyon.

Wow Shyflower,

Yikes arama :eek:,

Yes this is a tough experience and Ed called a good colour comentary ;( Glad though that you got through it. One of the positives is that you have blossomed as a real Linux flower. Other than making this move, you put on your I.T. hat and resolved the problem. Way to go! :slight_smile:

One thing I recommend so you don’t have to worry about on single boot-loader (GRUB) is to install many boot-loaders. There is an opensource package called WebMin. WebMin is a web based tool - it installs a version of apache in a contain folder on your file system, and is written in perl - that allows you to manage many aspects of a server or in your case a desktop machine. One feature is that it allows you to install multiple boot-loaders on your different partitions, so that if you accidentally corrupt your boot-loader your machine will use any other boot-loader it can find. You need to install this functionality into webmin. The steps are:

1. Download and install Webmin
  2. Log into Webmin based on the default username and password you gave during the setup
  3. Familiarize yourself with some of the operations you can do with Webmin
  4. To get the Grub Loader functionality
    [LIST=1]
  5. go to the ‘Webmin -> Webmin Configuration’ menu
  6. select the Webmin Modules icon
  7. go to ‘Standard module from www.webmin.com’ option; a new tab with a Webmin module web page will load, once open use your web browser and search for the words ‘GRUB Boot Loader’ and download the associate grub.wbm.gz
  8. select your Webmin 1.59… tab and choose the radio option ‘From uploaded file’ and choose the grub.wbm.gz file you downloaded
  9. finally, select the ‘Install Module’ button at the bottom of the window
    [/LIST]
  10. The GRUB Boot Loader will only show if it detects a GRUB boot loader on your system, and yes for those of you interested there are a number of different boot loader used in Linux but GRUB is the most pervasive.

Sorry to hear about your adventures. I hope in the future this helps.

Regards,
Steve

Thanks Steve, I’d look into it (and I will save it for future reference), but right now I am FINALLY down to just one partition. Since Maya is the stable distro, they will support it through 12/17. That’s what I was looking for, the long-term support , for this old girl (both me and Gracie, my 'puter. :slight_smile: )

No problems, again so happy that you got it working, i’m just sorry I wasn’t around to save you a little (lot) of time :frowning:

I can’t and won’t comment about you, but old Gracie is lucky… most Gracie’s of the world end up in landfills or recycling plants about 3 year ago, you’ve given her extended life and she must be very grateful :smiley: