Grep to find files... but locks up when none found?

Hi,

I’m using the following command to get a collection of files, so we can get a dev instance running of the live site. Now, this is what I use:

perl -p -i -e "s|paypal\@site.net|paypal\@site.net|g" `grep -rl 'paypal@site.net' .`

That works well - APART from when no instances of paypal@site.net can be found. In that case, it just sits there indefinitely.If you just run the command outside of the backticks, then it runs through fine:

grep -rl 'paypal@site.net' .

but as soon as you put the other command in front of it (and grab the files via the `` section), it just locks up if nothing can be found.

So, my question is - can we run this kinda of command to search+replace - but have it not lock up if no instances are found? :smile:

TIA

Andy

I don’t know that much about *nix… but, what if you opened another process and did the search in that? That way, if it locks up, you can kill it from your original process.

HTH,

:slight_smile:

I finally realised my question was a bit stupid =) Seeing as I’m doing a rsync from the live site - the file that I would expect to match, will ALWAYS be a match - as rsync will see they are different, and pull the other one over again (ready for the grep to run on it)

Doh! :relaxed:

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.