Gripes about Spam Filters

Hey Sp,

A website I’ve built for some clients is encountering issues with emails being sent from the site. Specifically, some of the emails that are being sent to them are being flagged as spam. I can’t seem to figure out exactly why some emails pass through the spam filters and some do not, the only reason I can come up with is because a lot of the emails sent have similar or the same information in them but they are still important to my clients. I’m already using a proper remote SMTP mail service through their email hosting service and this has solved a lot of problems from before where we were sending un-authenticated emails (almost all of the emails were flagged as spam then). The emails that keep flagged as Spam are results from a Survey that our customer base fills out. I guess because a lot of these emails are similar in nature Gmail’s spam filter and other spam filters decide that they are junk, which truly upsets me. Apart from just not sending the survey results through an email is there any other solution I could look into to get around this issue?

Thanks for reading and responding.

Do the receivers of the emails have the sender’s email address in their contact list?

Are the emails being flagged by any one particular email service?

Yes, I even have the messages marked with a Label for when they come into my personal Gmail account. Sometimes they make it into my inbox, sometimes they are in my junk mail. My clients don’t use a web hosted email such as Gmail though so they don’t even get their junk mail messages.

I’m not sure what spam filtering service our email hosting service uses, but it’s occurs with Gmail as well, so I presume it’s not unique to any one service. I think we’ll have to just record the survey results in the database and view the results from our CMS login.

Try spacing out the sending of them, ie if you’re sending out the emails in batches, try spliting them up over more (smaller) batches

Yea, I guess that would mean storing them somewhere before sending them. In that case I might as well just send an email to let my clients know when there is new Surveys to check out and then they can login online to check them. Thanks for your help.