H1 Tag but Reduce Text Size Would it Still work?

If I use an H1 tag with BOLD text but I reduce the size of the text to, say, 8 points, instead of the actual JUMBO H1 Text size, will I still get the benefit of using an H1 (Bold) tag in the content of my page?

Does reducing the size of the text reduce the impact of the H1 tag?

What about using BOLD in combination with the H1 tag, does that make a difference?

H1s are bold by default, unless you change that via CSS. I don’t think google takes account of your text size (as long as you don’t hide it altogether). A better question would be what your rationale is for such a small heading. If you want the text that small, it makes no sense to use an h1.

Thank you for the fast response!

I don’t plan to use such a tiny text size, I used it as an extreme example to illustrate the extreme differences in text sizes in order to determine if a search engine would care.

The H1 tag’s text size would make the style of my page look awkward. That’s why I want to reduce it. But I also want the boost the H1 tag gives to the words in the heading.

So, since the answer is that reducing the text size won’t confuse the search engines, then I will use the H1 tag, but I will reduce the text size so that it matches the style of my pages.

THANK YOU!

Yes, that huge default h1 size is just the styles your browser give it unless you decide otherwise. But it’s quite normal to set a different (usually smaller) size for the h1 in your styles. From a meaning (semantic) point of view, the text is still h1 text, so is given the extra importance it deserves by the search engines. :slight_smile: