Handling bad users

Another way is that you can crash the bad user’s browser by calculating the 100000000000000th prime numbers in JS…lol… that would be hillarious

Why LIMIT it to that? Just make it an eternal loop. They’ll have to close the browser just to do anything.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

So last night I was coding and I have all of bans all set. Then I got to the inbox part and then I started to remember about this topic. I was thinking, if this kind of ban (hell ban) is suppose to allow a troll to “think” he is a part of the community, does this mean that I should allow him to message anyone he wants, but it will never reach the recipient’s side? Like the actual inbox message will be sent, however since the recipient will never see it because the inbox message is set up in a way that only the troll can see it, but the recipient cannot. If the recipient is the troll, they can see the message as well.

What are your thoughts?

I like hte idea of “hell banning” for private messages as well.

I would consider possibly not enforcing hell banning on private messages TO STAFF though. Just on the odd chance they need to discuss any issues or something. Who knows? I mean, I would be comfortable with having mods read spam and be fine iwth it, due to them being staff. It at least gives SOME method of communication if need be. Just my 2 cents. Worth considering.

Yes, that was in my train of thought as well. I was thinking that if an admin can’t view the inbox message, the admin does not know what is going on and why the troll was (hell banned) for. Being able to view someone who was put on the naughty list’s inbox message should be a good idea because other admins can have a look out on this type of behavior as well.

That’s a really old plugin for vBulletin called “Miserable Users” but the general principle is probably good. I’m tempted to code something similar for my own site eventally, for if I ever get users who keep coming back after getting banned

1 Like

It seems that Reddit has something similar, which spawned an interesting topic in relation to it today:
If shadowbanned users could see other shadowbanned user’s posts and comments, it would make for an interesting “underground” reddit community.

1 Like

For mine, I’m just making other users not see the troll stuff. I don’t really know how to make it so the page loads really slow. Like is it a Javascript thinkg or PHP?

If there were to be a community of hell banned users who can only see other hell banned users, I’d say they would probably riot or else try to bring down the website by sending millions of requests every second. However, there’s actually no way of implementing this without having a bigger issue.

Anything in JS can be manipulated and changed by the user. You’d probably want to keep any kind of hidden ban stuff out of JS entirely. The user shouldn’t even know hidden ban exists.

This is a famous person caught in a “Shadow Ban” on reddit.

https://reddit.com/u/unidan

He was so famous on reddit, he actually has a real wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unidan

Yes, that’s the ban. AFAIK, he can still log in to that account.

1 Like

This actually sounds like someone I came across on a different PHP forum website. The guy seemed super high on himself. He would down vote any new beginners who would ask basic beginner questions such as “How would you add this up?” or “How would I create a loop that won’t be infinite?” The thing back then when I came across this kind of person is that even the site admins allowed him to talk down on people and even down vote them so that they can no longer ask any questions. The worst part is, you have to actually email the site admins to get a verified account. You could not post a question if you weren’t verified.

It makes the site look bad and have a bad reputation of having horrible staffs. That is why I moved to sitepoint because sitepoint’s site admins are more mature and have a professional view point on things. Rather then trying to drive everyone away from the community, sitepoint allows new PHP users to come forth and ask any questions and be able to get answered.

Sorry, rambled off there. The reason why I asked if it was Javascript or PHP is because when you are making the page load slow, it is through PHP or Javascript? I mean would you create a Javascript file that slows the browser or would you use PHP to slow the page?

1 Like

Thanks for noticing and mentioning it. We do the best we can.

Please note that with the move to Discourse, members can take a greater part in keeping the forum civilized.

That is, please use the :heart: Like button for posts you like, and please use the ⚑ Flag button for posts that need attention in any way, (edited, moved, deleted, etc)

1 Like

Ah… I see.

Putting in timeouts in JS could be found and that’s how conspiracy theories get started. PHP does have a sleep function, which could probably be used.

// some code

if($user['errorbanned']) {
   sleep(rand(5, 30));
}

// continue getting the page set up

I’m sure you could do something similar in Ruby/Python/Node.js.

Thanks, I’ll have to test it first to see if it gives me the results I want. Then I’ll try to find a way to implement it. Also, I couldn’t help notice how similar PHP is to the Linux commands. In Linux, if you wanted to make a directory. You just use mkdir. In PHP, if you wanted to make a directory you use the command mkdir.

Yes, that is what I like. I mean even if some people disagree on somethings, you shouldn’t have the need to down vote someone simply because their ideas are different from yours. The internet should be were people come together to share ideas. Not drive people away because your ego is too big.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.