Handling Client Email Setup

Was wondering if anyone had any useful resources for setting up email accounts on devices for clients?

As our business grows combined with the growing dependence on emails we have numerous clients calling on a regular basis with requests like “help I just got a new iphone, I need to get my emails on it”

In the past we’ve just done a screen share to manually enter server settings into outlook for them. But with all the devices it is quickly becoming a new challenge to try and service everyone.

Any tips?

Phones are a bit of a challenge and it’s going to be unique to your situation, probably. In our company, employees are barred from having work email on personal devices (I think a few are doing it anyway, though) and the IT department is the one issuing them a phone for work, so it’s simply set up before it’s handed to them.

That said, my IT department is also run in a way which I… disagree with in many areas, so… anyway.

Screen sharing sounds like a decent idea for desktop devices…

In the end, it’ll probably be a time intensive task regardless of what tools you use - growing pains, needing more time to put out small “fires”.

Do all of your devices (PCs, laptops, tablets, etc) have their own local logins or do you run everyone through a terminal server or some such thing?

After years of wasting time trying to help clients with this (it can drag on for hours or days), I’m pretty much at the stage of saying just introduce them to the concept of Google search and be done with it. If they are going to rely on technology, they need to learn how to do the basics. Helping them with this stuff can drag on for hours or days, and I don’t think I’ve ever been paid for it. They always seem to think of it as something I should just do.

2 Likes

If they are going to rely on technology, they need to learn how to do the basics.

Hear, hear.

A client of mine had chosen to use gadaddy (I know) but they had this neat little URL generator that setup the settings via some cool little java programming.

Was hoping there was a public resource like this somewhere or some other options anyone has come across. Its a MAJOR pain!

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.