Have two domains one which is set up with website and the other which is lying idle

Hi!

I am new on this forum and would appreciate help and advice on this.

I have a website on my photography work birthepollmeier.com and own another domain which I have yet created page. It’s weddingphotographerdublin.com

What is the best thing to do with that domain without losing the rankings of birthepollmeier.com? I am working hard to create more pages to keep google happy hence wonder what I can do with weddingphotographerdublin.com?

I believe if I parked it under my main domain this would hurt the seo rank. I dont mind buying another account from the same hosting company. And if I did that I wonder would creating just one page with images of my work linking back to my main page hurt seo??

I am a little bit lost and confused with all information out there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Birthe :slight_smile:

[SIZE=3][FONT=trebuchet ms]Welcome to Sitepoint Birthe… Glad to have you here!

Your parked domain should have no impact on your Search Rankings. Your existing site birthepollmeier.com has rankings on Google and other search engines. Your parked weddingphotographerdublin.com domain, when ready will have its own page. Providing links between birthepollmeier.com and weddingphotographerdublin.com sites will help [/FONT][/SIZE](maybe just a little) rankings for both sites. It will certainly not hinder your birthepollmeier.com rankings.

[COLOR=#464646][SIZE=3]Google will index both your site independently. You will get better rankings by providing great content and keeping it updated. Google is starting to move towards penaizing sites that pump a lot of ADs rather than content as they say that the quality is affected from the ads. After reviewing your lovely site, I don’t think you need to worry about this.

Regards,
Steve
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Thanks a mill Steve for the info.

ok so As I understand I just need to park my weddingphotographerdublin.com under my main domain in my hosting account? Correct? And then I don’t need to create another website or page for that domain?

Hi Birthe,

Yes you can leave your weddingphotographerdublin.com domain parked. It does not matter if it is parked under your main domain; although if it is already parked there then that is good.

Parking a site means that the registrar holds the domain name for you (so that know one else can register that name, but it is not an active website. In most cases if a person tries to navigate to such a site they will get a ‘This domain is parked message’; however yours seems to direct to a page with a lot of other links; this is how your ISP is routing their parked domains.

In general there are two approaches that are used.

1. You create a sub-domain off their main domain. So an example in your case is weddingphotos.birthepollmeier.com. This would mean that you would not create a separate site; instead you would use public DNS to set weddingphotos.birthepollmeier.com to point to a set of pages off your existing site. So in search engines or a business card you might put weddingphotos.birthepollmeier.com but if a person was visiting just birthepollmeier.com then they might see the url as birthepollmeier.com/weddingphotos
  2. You create two separate sites with separate directory structures (on the server) and distinct DNS settings for both sites. This option means that you would maintain both sites separately.

You would need to decide what you want to do? Create a separate site or a sub-domain of your existing site.

If a sub-domain would be better for you, then you no longer need the weddingphotographerdublin.com domain. If however, you decide that you want your Wedding Photos separate from your other photo site, then you will have to create a new site using the weddingphotographerdublin.com domain and set the public DNS so that it no longer points to the Parked Domain and instead points to the I.P. of the server where you host the weddingphotographerdublin.com files.

Regards,
Steve

Thanks again Steve for the info. I was aware of the domain being used with links (is it because I have left it idle?) so I just need to take action.

I was just re-reading your first response. If I park that domain under my main domain how will weddingphotographerdublin.com be ready to have its own page? You mentioned providing links between the two domains?? Sorry I’m trying to get the aha moment! Thanks again for your help

Hi Birthe,

It is just the way your ISP parks their domains, your included. Once you create a separate site for weddingphotographerdublin.com then you will no longer go to the parked (with links) page.

Your domain is currently parked, you do not have to park it anywhere else. The steps to taking this site from parked (current status) to a fully functioning site are:

1. Create a website using XHTML, CSS, Images, and maybe a little javascript
  2. Move (upload) your new site to your host server. This will typically be done using FTP or through CPANEL (a control panel that many ISPs use)
  3. Set Public DNS for weddingphotographerdublin.com to point to the I.P. address of your host server. DNS is normally managed through the company where you registered your domain. If birthepollmeier.com and weddingphotographerdublin.com are to be located on the same server, then you can copy for weddingphotographerdublin.com most (maybe even alll) the DNS settings that you use for birthepollmeier.com
  4. You will also need to have a virtual host entry for weddingphotographerdublin.com in apache. This is required as your apache server needs to know what virtual host to route the request.

If a user tries weddingphotographerdublin.com then the requested file would go like this:

Users Computer
-> DNS Server -> (Routes to Server) -> Apache (process the request) [B]Routes to Virtual Host -> Routes to file /B.

You will normally set virtual hosts for Apache in CPANEL.

If I am a user and browse to birthepollmeier.com. Say if on the home page of birthepollmeier.com you have a highlight box that urges the user to visit your weddingphotographerdublin.com. It might be something like:

<h2>Great Wedding Photo & Packages Available</h2>
<p>See our great<a href='http://weddingphotographerdublin.com/photos.html' />wedding photos</a>
 or read about our 
<a href='http://weddingphotographerdublin.com/packages.html'>Wedding Packages</a>

You can see in the above example that you are creating links from birthepollmeier.com to weddingphotographerdublin.com.

Steve