Have you ever been attacked in forums?

Actually, I think it’s a common misconception. Chinese products used to be crap a couple of decades ago, now it’s hard to get a product that is not (or its parts) made in China, and these are good products. I’ve a lot of stuff here on my desk that I’ve used for years and they haven’t fallen apart. The quality is good and not any worse than of similar products made elsewhere. And I think that’s because, first of all, Chinese companies learn and adapt, and secondly, other companies outsource their production in China and enforce their quality standards.

If it was all just junk we’d be living in rubble.

I doubt that’s true. Businesses don’t go out of business because their products are too good, and people don’t buy cheap crap that falls apart the next day as a substitute for quality products. Same brands that were decades ago are still here, the only difference is they outsource the production abroad. They do that not because it pays off to make junk (they could make cheap junk locally just as well) but because it’s become more efficient and cost effective to outsource.

Totally agree with you,saul. I have been living in china for years, and I found things are of high quality and inexpensive.

Whether the products are good or not, you are fighting against a strong perception that the products are not of good quality. I don’t know about where Saul lives, but where I live we are inundated with cheap Chinese products, and the perception is that they don’t last long and don’t work well. Just yesterday I was visiting a friend who recently bought a new portable hotplate. She chose a cheap Chinese version for economic reasons. As she turned the switch to start it up, the switch fell off. Her comment was, “O well, if you buy cheap Chinese stuff, that’s what you get,” and my wife agreed with her. (I thought it was funny that this happened the very same day I had posted in this thread.)

Now, whether her comment was fair or not, it’s the perception that’s the real point. So I say again, if you want to sell a good Chinese product here in Australia, you have to work hard to convince / reassure people that it is of good quality (… or just entice them with a low price, of course).

I am looking for a new car at the moment, and they are very expensive. In the last few years, Chinese cars have started to sell here. They are half the price of most other new cars. Now, they may or may not be good cars, but the assumption that people make is that they will not be very high quality. So the car company will need to work hard to change this perception … or they will just have to rely on people with low budgets buying them. But when I discuss the possibility of buying one of those cars with people, their first response is always something like—“O, watch out. You get what you pay for. It will wear out quickly, probably won’t have good safety …” etc.

Can’t say I have ever been attacked on a forum but I have definitely seen it happen.

When I was a kid I got attacked in two forums. I saw no benefit to them so I quit them. Sitepoint is the best forum for what I do, I wish the signatures were do follow though :frowning:

Sad to hear that, it’s my first time to hear a thing like this. You’ve been discriminated by those people, I think it would not be happen here.

I think it happens to everyone, you do get a lot of ego online and everyones entitled to their opinion. You just filter out the rubbish and take in the good, that my advice and what I do. Also, don’t take the internet too seriously :slight_smile:

Somebody here might attack you on your coding practices, your design ethics or maybe your choice of CMS or the fact that you’re using a CMS in the first place. Nobody will attack Chinese product or pirating designs. That’s not why we’re here.

Off Topic:

All your pensions (if I remember correctly) are backed up by gold. Our currencies are worthless and are not backed up by anything. If China was to ask for developed nations to pay off it’s debts to them those developed nations would come secondary to your country. Even with your billion or so population, you still miraculously manage to feed everybody and keep things ticking. China in my opinion is one of the most inspiring countries I’ve seen, not only because of their size but because of their impact on the modern world.

Feel better now :slight_smile:

I have been attacked as well, only because people are very opinionated and can’t accept anyone else’s point of view. Sad, we should be kinder to one another…

Agreed. That being said I am really sorry to here this happen. I wish you the best of luck, and am sure that your products are great. If their are a lot of people like that on the forum, than I recommend leaving it:).

Dear Lonking, I’m very sorry to hear such bad news from you. I think, it’s a disappointing feeling. Fortunately, I have not experienced attacks in forums. But I know, if there occur the same situation in my life, I will know whom to write for advise!)

This is not very unusual things in the forums.Many people disagree with your comments and many other promotes their own products.It is very common.Take it easy.Try to explain your point with more perfection and closed that thread.Try some other forums.You can contact to admin if you feel very much insulted.They may take action against them.

Some other forum admins simply want to enforce the rules but they need to bend them a little from time to time.

I’ve never understood exactly why anyone would utilise an attacking sort of method on a forum. Yes, internet bravado it may be, but it’s still a sign of a bit of a limited capability on the side of the person speaking like that - don’t you think?

Just be polite at all times and respect other peoples opinions. If you don’t like what they have to say, then don’t reply. It’s that simple !

My Best To You,

Paul
from Down Under

you’re right paul, however there are other forums that attack you or bully you for no reason at all other than you simply gave your opinion and even followed the rules. A member should first receive a warning or a private message as to what violations they did, not attack a person in their post or worst ban that person.

Hmmmmmmmmm…“Have I ever been attacked in forums?”

Have I ever taken a breath?

I get attacked on my own forums, sometimes just for running them!

:wink:

I’ve never been attacked. Do you know why? I think through what I post before I click that “Post Quick Reply” button. Anything that I think I write that may start a flame war or an exchange of threats etc. I don’t bother posting it. Heated discussion is O.K by a stretch, such as discussing patch changes to a game etc. and why you disagree with a certain change.

I take it you made this poll because it seems like you’ve been attacked, 9th dislike achievement and a bad reputation. It doesn’t look to good. You should think before you right, that’s all I’m saying on this topic.

no i dont experience that…

Not often, sometimes moderators attack my posts and gives me warnings.:wink:

Interesting that you posted this, however anything can cause a flame war so this is not necessarily always true.