Have you experience a situation where your keyword position keeps changing in a day?

I am using a certain keyword rank checking tool(cuterank) and from it, i see my position on Google keeps changing several times in a day, in fact using another firefox add on(seoquake) indicates my backlinks number pages too in a day. Does this change be the reasons why my position keeps changing several times in a day?:slight_smile:

This is referred to as a ā€œGoogle Danceā€.

It typically occurs before your site seeā€™s an increase in ranking.

Is there anything I can do about it?

Its usually a good situation because it means your site ranking is about to increase for these keywords (It could also mean decrease as Google is constantly changing. I am in no way claiming to understand the details of Googleā€™s algorithm.)

Either way, it should level out in a couple of days.

It should also be noted that sometimes, particular sites will rank higher when you are logged in than when you are not.

Thank a lot, that is so good of you.

Iā€™m going to add, I would avoid over checking Serps.

Your ranking is going to depend on not only on-page and back links you have built but the sites the back links sit on as well as competing sitesā€¦

checking once a week can often be considered overkill and I will only check more often if I have made changes to content and I want to see the effect.

With regards to the ā€˜logged in commentā€™, you need to avoid like the plague as these are Google personalized results, they can not be trusted with regards to SERP.

I would only ever check using a 3rd party tool (which would not be affected by your Google account) or using the incognito mode in chrome (although I have had personalised results using this on occasion.)

Thanks for your useful contribution. If my target markets are USA,UK,Canada and Australia, will building backlinks from .com.au,co.uk and .ca will in ranking especillay in google and Bing australia,google and Bing UK,google and Bing USA and google and Bing canada?

OK lets take a step back and think how a site gets indexed. Generally a site is visited by a spider coming from a third party site via an outbound link.

Therefore if the site providing the backlink is ā€˜findableā€™ on the search engine of choice it will be counted (in very general terms)

Donā€™t get caught up in building multiple sets of results, think in term that for a sites backlink to give me benefit if its listed on the search engine Iā€™m interested in and its related to my site, its a good linkā€¦ (There are exceptions to this but its a good general guide)

Avoid back linking schemes and other short cutsā€¦

Also avoid any tool that will give you a flood of links. In short if you have a site with few links, generating hundreds in a short period of time will potentially cause a Google flag etcā€¦ Think in terms of short and steady and you wont go far wrong.

Thanks for this useful information