Having a problem placing an htaccess file in the wp-admin folder

Hi one and all, I’ve a localhost installation with DeskTop Server. I’ve been trying to place an htaccess.php file in the wp-admin folder. Each time I type “.htaccess.php,” I get the dialog that says, “YOU MUST TYPE A FILE NAME.” Once I click OK, the “.” goes away and only “htaccess.php” remains. How do I get the “.htaccess.php” file loaded? Thanks.

It’s called .htaccess

I’m guessing you mean an Apache file and not a PHP script file.

The way I do it is create the file and FTP upload it as
htaccess.txt

Then I use the FTP app to rename it as
.htaccess

Thanks, guys. Mittineague, I know the process you mentioned, and it works. The present issue I’ve is with the localhost DesktopServer. I’ve not been able to use FTP with it. Thanks.

In that case, presumably, you’re using some kind of control panel to upload files. There should be a file manager on there, via which you should be able rename a file. Simply upload your .htaccess.txt file and rename to .htaccess.

2ndmouse, I’m not on a web server, but a local host on my computer. The method you mentioned works with the cpanel, and I’ve done that before. My current problem arises with the Desktop Server. I was told that how I was saving the .htaccess file was the problem. I’ll try it, and see if it works. Thanks for help.

Are you able to save an .htaccess file anywhere on your computer?

I’m using Windows 7 and it lets me.

If you can save it in another folder, can you not move or copy it to the localhost folder?

I don’t know if I can save it elsewhere on my XP. I was told that I need to write it in notepad or another text editor, ensure that I’ve selected ANSI, and to leave off the “.php.” That means I’ll save only “.htaccess” I did that, and I didn’t get the error message “YOU MUST TYPE A FILE NAME,” so I’m believing it’s going to work.

If you have problems, try opening the editor from the right-click “Run as administrator”

It appears that the process I described above that I was given to me, and tried, worked. Thanks for your efforts. I appreciate them.