Having done all this I E 8 gives me a margin ? How to get rid of it

This is the web page

http://www.c5d.co.uk/sterlingpayments.php

You will see that it IE8 the “home symbol” has a yellow margin round it.

It doesn’t in Firefox or Chrome

Is it possible to remove it ? Or it one of those IE quirks I keep reading about ?

Thanks

IE is a stupid browser, but IE8 and above are not hard to deal with in general. Try something like this:

#menu-item-143 a {color: black;}

I’m afraid that this doesn’t have any effect.

Is it possible to add a black margin ? Or might that put it round the yellow ?

Another thing to try is

img {border: none;}

That’s the one.

Easy when you know how I guess

Thanks again.

I have finished with this bit of my site now, though I think you mentioned that I should try and remove the BR tags and replace them with line heights.

I’ll try and read up on it first before giving it a shot. Though my book isn’t very clear.

Thanks again

Antony

Not so much line heights, as <p> tags. E.g. Replace this:

<p>Over the years I have made 
many varied payments, for many varied things for anyone who needs to make a UK 
Payment.[COLOR="#FF0000"]<br><br>[/COLOR]I have ordered films/fiches, paid a deposit on a holiday at a B 
&amp; B in the Lake District, and numerous F H S Subscriptions where credit card 
facilities are not acceptable.[COLOR="#FF0000"]<br><br>[/COLOR]My charges are, 
 £ 2.00, plus 3.5% of your payment. This covers the commission levied by my 
credit card company. [COLOR="#FF0000"]<br><br>[/COLOR]If you wish to pay by check/cheque, please contact 
me by e mail, and I shall quote you in your currency.</p>

with this:

<p>Over the years I have made many varied payments, for many varied things for anyone who needs to make a UK Payment.[COLOR="#FF0000"]</p>

<p>[/COLOR]I have ordered films/fiches, paid a deposit on a holiday at a B &amp; B in the Lake District, and numerous F H S Subscriptions where credit card facilities are not acceptable.[COLOR="#FF0000"]</p>

<p>[/COLOR]My charges are, £ 2.00, plus 3.5% of your payment. This covers the commission levied by my credit card company.[COLOR="#FF0000"]</p> 

<p>[/COLOR]If you wish to pay by check/cheque, please contact me by e mail, and I shall quote you in your currency.</p>

To spread the <p>s apart a bit, do something like this in your style sheet:

p {margin: 1em 0;}

This is where I get a bit stuck

<<<<To spread the <p>s apart a bit, do something like this in your style sheet:

Code:
p {margin: 1em 0;}>>>

What is 0 for and if you want some the equivalent of 2 BRs for one space and 3 BRs for another do you have to give them all different classes ?

Off to work now so can’t reply till later

Thanks

Antony

It’s shorthapnd for this:

p {margin: 1em 0 1em 0;}

which means a margin of 1em on top, zero to the right, 1em on the bottom and zero to the left. If top/bottom are the same, and left/right, you can abbreviate it to what I gave.

and if you want some the equivalent of 2 BRs for one space and 3 BRs for another do you have to give them all different classes ?

It would be odd to do it that way, but I guess you’d set a basic spacing (like I gave above) and give a special class to any <p> that had a different margin. There may be ways to do it efficiently, depending on how it’s set up.

Thanks for the explanation.

Having looked at the book, it would seem that when I want a bigger space, the answer is padding

It works that way.

Thanks for the help

Antony

It depends on what kind of space you want. Both padding and margins are very useful for different things. A background image/color will show up in the padding area, but not in margin area, for example.