Having Read Up On Google - Would Just Like to Ask For A Few Pointers

Good Morning

I’ve spent the last couple of weeks researching Google optimisation. I thank you in advance for any assistance that you are able to offer.

I just have a couple of questions to ask specific to the following website : -

http://tinyurl.com/d8he9m2

This company offer several different services in several towns.

My questions are as follows.

How many towns should I aim for on one page? I read that the title and H1 tag should only have 3 keywords. Does that mean that I should aim for the service and two towns? So the electrician page should say something like ‘electricians in Ealing and Acton.’ Or could I add more towns?

On the homepage, I take it that I would pick the main service only, and stick to optimising for this service in several towns? Rather than optimising for several services and several towns on the home page (as is currently the case.)

Thank you for your help, I appreciate any comments

Didcot84

For starters, is there really a need to have the menu on the page twice? Too many links on a page will hurt the ratio and decrease that page’s overall authority.

It would be best to aim for 1 town per page. I would suggest writing a unique 400-600 word blog article (or page) for each town and releasing 1-3 per day. Trying to rank the same page for all of your keywords to avoid writing new content is something a lot of people try, but your results will be mediocre at best.

You will want to rank the homepage for branded keywords and some of your main short-tail keywords. Keep in mind that Google grants PAGES authority, not WEBSITES. Although certain sites will have higher authority for all of their pages, you should focus on ranking the pages that have content and not your homepage.

I would also suggest researching Schema.org microformatting. This is something that Google has adopted recently in order to help them better organize their data. When done correctly, Microformats will pull certain contact information to the search results page (think about all the search results you see with people’s face next to the result). More real estate on the search results pages leads to a high CTR.

Hi Guys

Thank you very much for the pointers and sorry for the delay in responding, I had no chance to reply yesterday.

Can I just pick up on the point that was suggested by Alabamaseo? I will remove the second menu, thank you for that pointer.

You mentioned going for one town per page. So do you mean that I should advertise all of the services on each town on one page? So for example I would advertise loft conversions, electricians etc on each town page? And aim to appear on google searches on each service for that town?

Thank you for very much again for the mention of schema.org, I’ll look into that further.