Having trouble understanding DNS records

When I view my domain’s DNS records via WHM, I don’t see any A records pointing to my server’s public IP address. The only A records I see point to 10.x.x.x, which is is a private IP address, correct? If this is the case, what gives? I’m just trying to develop an understanding of exactly how requests find their way to my server and I’m completely baffled by the DNS records I’m seeing. I would appreciate any help you can offer! Thank you.

10.x is a completely private address, yes.

Its possible that the WHM setup is in correct or the server you are on is part of some more complex setup.

Is the DNS definiately being controlled for your domain via WHM and not via another 3rd party ?

Have a check with the namseservers via dig or domain dossier. Cpanel values will be correct only if the same server is your nameserver.

I would assume that the DNS is being controlled via WHM. I’m not sure how I would check this. I did use domain dossier (very cool tool btw), but I don’t know what I am looking for to confirm that my WHM is actually controlling my domain’s DNS records. The NS records shown by domain dossier do match the ones in WHM.

After some more observation I did notice something. In cpanel, it shows that the last IP to log in to cpanel was 127.0.0.1 and that the server’s dedicated IP address is that same 10.x.x.x IP. These values seem strange as well. At my previous web host, the last IP to log in was my IP and the server’s dedicated IP was its public IP. Could it be that the DNS records really are pointing to the public IP, but for whatever reason it’s showing up as the private IP? Seems wacky.

Its possible that the WHM setup is in correct or the server you are on is part of some more complex setup.

Turns out that this was the case. My web host translates the private IPs to the public IPs when updating their nameserver. Thank you for your help, everyone. I appreciate it!