Header Graphics - I'm Stuck For Ideas

I’m working on my first practice site since I started properly studying css (it’s a site about dog food/dog treats). I’ve run into a barrier: I don’t know what to do with the header.

I’m just looking at a boring rectangle-block header above a typical two-column page. I’m stuck for ideas of how to make a good-looking header. Will I have to use image editing software to draw my own graphics to make it look good, or does anyone know a site where I can get header graphics? So far I’ve only seen sites for photos and icons. I know that headers with graphics that appear to flow/overlap into the main content below tend to look good, but I don’t know what to do with that.

Ideas for headers, or tips on how to conceptually think about headers so that I can come up with my own ideas?

I guess one thing I would suggest first of all is establish what kind of header you’re looking to create. This can effect how you create it and what resources or tools are needed (image based programs etc).

Do you have an examples from your favourite websites that you might want to replicate?

Is there a certain style on your website that you’re trying to achieve?

Have you got an example of this look?

I found some sites with 30+ examples of headers and got a few ideas flowing. I didn’t have any specific idea/style in mind, that was the problem.

The overlap effect I’m talking about is in so many different headers, I decided to go with a stock photo of a dog which I’ve made appear to be leaning over the bottom ‘border’ of the header, so I’m good for now.

Some sites that helped me get ideas flowing, for others who find this thread:

http://sixrevisions.com/web_design/five-types-of-effective-headers-in-web-design/ (‘overlap’ example on the top one)
http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/inspiration/trendy-unique-website-header-designs/ (these are a bit over-the-top but opened up the possibilities for me)

I’ve had to get much more familiar with image editing software than I planned to, never liked graphic design much.

I am glad you have found something to inspire you using those sites to get the ideas flowing. Sometimes that’s all you need.
We’d love to see what you came up with in the end too.
If you have trouble creating the header using image editing software just let us know and I’m sure someone can help you out.

When i’m stuck with ideas i’m searching the web for some graphics just for some inspiration. Sometimes i have the best inspiration in the evening :slight_smile: