Help decoding JavaScript in WordPress theme

Hi,

I’m working on a site using a ready made WordPress theme. This includes a template for a Calendar page listing upcoming events. I’ve edited the Calendar page template so that before the events listings there is a paragraph of introductory text using the WordPress function ‘the_content’. This is followed by listings for the current month and users can click ‘Prev’ and ‘Next’ to move through the calendar.

My problem is that when a user scrolls through to the next or previous month the introductory paragraph text is lost, but the URL stays the same. After a lot of digging around today I’ve established that this is because the the content in ‘the_content’ is lost when the page updates.

The links look like this:

<div class="monthselect">
  <a class="prevlink plink" "="" rel="2/2012" href="#">PREV</a>
  <a class="nxtlink plink" "="" rel="4/2012" href="#">NEXT</a>
</div>

I don’t think this loss of data is related to the PHP due to fixes I’ve tried. So, I was looking through the themes JavaScript and have found this, listed under a section titled ‘calendar’:

$('a.plink').live('click', function() {
  		$(this).addClass('currp');
  		ado();
  		return false;
  	});

function ado() {
  		$('.imgloader').show();
  		var sender = $('.currp').attr('rel'),
  			data = { action: 'netlabs_get_ajaxdata', type: 'get_cal', senddata: sender};
		$.post(ajax_url, data, function(response) {	
			$('.calselect').html(response);
			$('.imgloader').hide();
		});
  	}

Could anyone give me their thoughts on this? I have absolutely zero experience of JavaScript, so don’t know where to start with decoding a custom built function like this. If you could tell me roughly what its doing, that would be great!

Is the content you want to keep inside of the .calselect element? If so it will be replaced out when $(‘.calselect’).html(response); runs.

Additionally it’s probably worth noting that those links look a little malformed, with the extra “=”" in between the two attributes, so you may want to remove that.

<div class="monthselect">
  <a class="prevlink plink" [COLOR=#ff0000]"=""[/COLOR] rel="2/2012" href="#">PREV</a>
  <a class="nxtlink plink"[COLOR=#ff0000] "=""[/COLOR] rel="4/2012" href="#">NEXT</a>
</div>

What it’s doing is to send data to ajax_url, and when it receives a response it takes the element with a ‘.calselect’ class and replaces its contents with the response that was returned from the ajax_url.

@AussieJohn - yes, the content I want is in the ‘.calselect’ element. Thanks for the info, very helpful! As for the wierd “=”" bit - it’s code generated from the themefiles somehow, so not sure how to edit that! I figure it’s not doing any harm though?..

@paul_wilkins - thanks for the response, its really helpful :slight_smile:

The theme author has agreed to take a look, but this has been really helpful in aiding my understanding and giving him my best guess as to where the issue is - massive thanks to you both :slight_smile: