Help downloading

Hi there,
I’m a novice coder with experience in PHP, HTML, CSS, and JS(all of which I learned through sitepoint books). I got a book from my library on ruby(Apress’ Beginning Ruby)and was all set to download it onto my windows HP. The installation worked and everything was going just fine until I couldn’t find the SciTE editor and decided to uninstall and reinstall just in case it didn’t download correctly. Well I reinstalled and everything was different. When I first downloaded it, there were only 5 icons to choose from, with the command prompt and the irb being 2 of them. Now I have all these crazy folders to search through and no irb or anything in sight. I went to google for the answer and found out that the book’s latest version is 2009 and that in 2010 they took out the text editor and a bunch of other things. So I messed up everything looking for something that didn’t exist. So here’s my question: When I download Ruby, how should I go about doing it? Should I download it from a rails site or from rubyinstaller? Anything else I as a novice should know? Other details are I downloaded v1.9.3, and everything worked just fine, its just the installation is different. Let me know if there any other information you need. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks. :slight_smile:

Hi there,

Yes, for Windows http://rubyinstaller.org/ is the place to go for a Ruby environment.
The other option is to run a linux virtual machine and install everything there - If you wanted to go down this route Vagrant is what a lot of people these days use.