Help me with APACHE troubleshooting?

Hi I’m faithfully reading

Build Your Own Database Driven Website using PHP & MYSQL - Kevin Yank

Except that after successfully figuring out how to instal the MySQL and proceeding to the apache step. after setting it up with localhost for server information and clicking 8080 apache is running saying ‘No services installed’ when i open my browser i don’t get an IT WORKED I get something wanting to download and the title changes randomly everytime I go to http://localhost:8080 and the end is always .part extension. So I’m stuck and have just changed the php.ini.development to php.ini does this duplicate file copy need to be in a specific place in my computer?

I am so paranoid of doing one thing wrong and having no clue where I went wrong . So Please help I’m running Windows XP Vista i’d tell you more if I knew it was important to share hehe. I am really trying to learn this stuff so please bare with me if this has been mentioned on the forum already i’d just really like to get back to my trying and failing but I think I’m at a wall right now

IT,

Welcome to the wonderful world of trying to run Apache on a WinDoze box!

First, please decide whether you’re using XP or Vista as Vista (and Win7) security makes things almost unbearable (XP was easy).

Let me treat it as Vista/Win7.

First, you really don’t want to have to use :8080 all the time so I’ll recommend that you UNINSTALL Apache and reboot your computer (to clear from Services).

Second, get into your services (Start|Run services.msc) and STOP IIS and change the properties to Manual Start (to allow Apache to start and capture port 80).

Third, you may now run the WinDoze Installer for Apache but do NOT install into Program Files! Create another web directory (c:\web\Apache - or I have created a drive partition and installed there as W:\Apache). That will eliminate the PITA with editing the httpd.conf for Apache and php.ini for PHP.

Fourth, create a checklist for updating the configuration files as you have not done that correctly. Install MySQL, install Apache then install PHP (merely unzip into your c:\web\PHP or W:\PHP directory) then edit the httpd.conf to add PHP to Apache and edit PHP’s ini file.

Several years ago (under XP), Kevin’s book (Chapter One, Installation) had to be read through and things reordered to work correctly. With all the different versions of WinDoze since XP, the “trick” was to install outside the few directories “protected” by the OS. All Kevin’s other information is quite good.

Regards,

DK

Wow Zerrs!!!

When I’d looked around for answerers I’d found a bunch of different complicated depots now I see they were accurate hehe

I appreciate you taking the time to explain it all to me and I will do just that and let you know how it goes for me when I’m done thankyou sooo much ^^ DK

IT,

From my own humbling experience (with WinDoze 7), GOOD LUCK! However, take comfort in the fact that I now have it working on my test server and a notebook.

Regards,

DK