Help needed with Filezilla Please

I’m building a practice site using Ian Lloyd’s book (web site right way with html and css) and am at the point where I need to go live. “FileZilla Client” is asking for my host name, username and password but I can not find anywhere to sign up for my username or create a password. I guess the host name would be the fictitious site I’m creating but I could sure us some help trying to figure out the username and password issue. As you can tell, I am pretty new at this but I want to learn the right way.
Thanks for your help
Chris

Hi c.maytree. Welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:

Filezilla is a tool for uploading your website files to a remote web hosting account. So you need to have signed up for a web hosting account first. There are many web hosting companies that provide web hosting space. It usually costs about 5 to 10 dollars per month. Do you have a hosting account yet?

If not, you can run a website on your own computer … in which case Filezilla is of no use. You just double click on the files (e.g. index.html) to view them in your browser.

There are also some fancier packages you can download to your computer that mimic a remote web server. These include MAMP (for Mac) and XAMPP (for Windoze).

I would suggest that for a test site—where you are just learning the ropes—you wouldn’t want to pay for web hosting space, but rather just run the test site on your own coputer. Buy web hosting space when yu are ready to make a real website for others to view.

Are you using cPanel? If you are, you’ll want to make a FTP account in the control panel first. It will give you the information you will need to plug into any FTP client.
Obviously, if it is some other control panel, it will be a little different but the concept is the same.

Every cPanel account I’ve ever had has come with an FTP account already enabled and full log-in instructions.

However, as ralph.m says, it sounds as if c.maytree is not really at the stage of needing live hosting yet.

Thank you for your speedy reply.
You are right, I’m not ready to step in front of the world. I do appreciate the valuable information that I am getting through this forum.
Thanks again
Chris

Well Filezilla is FTP client application, you must have a valid host username and password. Open Filezilla, click on Site Manager from File menu andclick on New Site located at the left down corner. Host name should be ftp link to your site and put the username and password, and you are done.