HELP on dropdown CSS

Hi everyone! I need help… If you check our website www.ksays.multiply.com You will notice that there’s a glitch with the drop down navigation. Everytime I try to press the second line, it disappears. Can anyone help me with this? Attached is my CSS Thank you!

#nav{
	list-style:none;
	font-weight:normal;
	margin-top:104px;
        text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px #C56161;
	/* Clear floats */
	float:left;
	:100%;
	/* Bring the nav above everything else--uncomment if needed.
	position:relative;
	z-index:5;
	*/
}
#nav li{
	float:left;
margin-right:-10px;
position:relative;
}
#nav a{
display:block;
padding:5px;
color:#fff;
text-decoration:none;
}
#nav a:hover {
    background: none repeat scroll 0 0 #5F340D;
color: #F9A99A;
text-decoration: none;
}

/*--- DROPDOWN ---*/
#nav ul{
	background:#fff; /* Adding a background makes the dropdown work properly in IE7+. Make this as close to your page's background as possible (i.e. white page == white background). */
	background:rgba(255,255,255,0); /* But! Let's make the background fully transparent where we can, we don't actually want to see it if we can help it... */
	position:inherit;
	left:-9999px; /* Hide off-screen when not needed (this is more accessible than display:none;) */
}
#nav ul li{
	padding-top:1px; /* Introducing a padding between the li and the a give the illusion spaced items */
	float:none;
        -webkit-border-radius: 5px;
-moz-border-radius: 5px;
border-radius: 5px;
}
#nav ul a{
	white-space:nowrap;
        text-indent: 10px;
       -webkit-border-radius: 5px;
-moz-border-radius: 5px;
border-radius: 5px; /* Stop text wrapping and creating multi-line dropdown items */
}
#nav li:hover ul{ /* Display the dropdown on hover */
	left:0;
        /* Bring back on-screen when needed */
}
#nav li:hover a{ /* These create persistent hover states, meaning the top-most link stays 'hovered' even when your cursor has moved down the list. */
	background:#5f340d;
}
#nav li:hover ul a{ /* The persistent hover state does however create a global style for links even before they're hovered. Here we undo these effects. */
}
#nav li:hover ul li a:hover{ /* Here we define the most explicit hover states--what happens when you hover each individual link. */
	background:#333;
}
}

Hi Welcome to Sitepoint :slight_smile:

Set the z-index for the parent of the nav to be higher than anything underneath.

e.g.

#owner_nav_wrapper{position:relative;z-index:99}

AAAHH it worked!! THANK YOU SOSOOO MUCH!! :slight_smile:

Oh I have another concern! How can I make the levels come out with arrows similar as this one…
And how can I make the sizes/width of each section (Home, Apple, Blackberry etc) all the same?

Hi,

That’s really a question for a tutorial rather than a quick answer I’m afraid :slight_smile:

A quick overview would be that you give the anchors a width that suits your design and then decide if nested lists should be the same etc.

You also need to hide nested menus so when you show the first item (#nav li:hover ul{}) then at the same time you need to hide any deeper nested menus (#nav li:hover li ul{left:-999em}) and then you show the last level with (#nav li:hover li:hover ul{left:xxpx}) - where xx px equals the width of the previous menu.

The drop downs should be position:absolute and you have forgotten to remove the default padding and margins from them.

To create a sub arrow you need to add a class to the item that is a sub trigger.

e.g.

<li><a href="#">iPhone</a>
 <ul>
  <li[B] class="sub"[/B]><a href="#">iPhone4S </a>

Then you can target that in css and add a background image:

#nav li.sub>a{
background:#000 url(arrow.gif) no-repeat 98% 50%;
}

Here’s a rough fix that should give the basic idea:

#nav, #nav ul {
	margin:0;
	padding:0;
}
#nav { padding:0 0 0 10px }
#nav { margin-top:104px }
#nav> li a {
	width:115px;
	text-align:left;
	padding:5px 0;
	display:block
}
#nav> li {
	width:115px;
	margin:0
}
#nav li ul { position:absolute; }
ul #nav li { margin:0 }
#nav li:hover li ul { left:-999em }
#nav li li:hover ul {
	left:114px;
	top:0
}
#nav li.sub>a{
background-image: url(arrow.gif)!important; 
background-repeat:no-repeat;
background-position:98% 50%;
}

You would probably be better off running through a good tutorial as there is a lot to take in.

Also you have many errors on that page and its a very small page so you need ot be careful and try and get it error free as a single error can break a whole page.

Hope that’s a start anyway :slight_smile: