Help with a "Mailto" form

[FONT=Verdana]Hello Everyone,

I’m a complete newbie to anything related to computer languages. I am a complete novice to HTML and CSS and have trawled the internet for an answer to my question with no joy. I come across this forum and it seems a friendly place to post my question! I have basically made a few forms which are used on an internal network, nothing customer facing, but a way in which me and my colleagues request/share information.

The forms look nice and definitely do the job required, the only problem, is the layout of the information which comes though to the designated email. The information comes though like this:

Job Ref=xxxx
Item=xxxx
Quantity=1
Item=
Quantity=0
Item=
Quantity=0
Item=
Quantity=0
Faulty=xxx
Error Message=
Other reason for collection=xxx

Is there a way I can amend the font and layout of this information? Particulary, I would like to change the Input name and user text font colours. Its all to close together and just doesn’t look/feel right,

Any help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks

Damon[/FONT]

Welcome, Damon to the Sitepoint forums. I hope you spend some time here learning more AND sharing your knowledge.
You are correct that this is a very friendly place.

To answer your question, the form that you have created only ‘captures’ the information (and sends it to a web server).
The format of the reported information (in an email) is based how that server handles the information.

If, as it appears, you are using a simple “mailto:” it would be helpful to see that. Can you post a snippet from the form?

I am sure among the very smart people here we can find a way to help you improve the process/appearance.

Hello ParkinT and many thanks for the hasty reply!

Here is an example of one of the forms I have created. I have only used Notepad to make this and hope its not too shoddy and will be torn apart from experienced users as I have seen on other sites haha.

I have amended my email address too as I think this is good practise!

<html>
<head>
<LINK href="contactform.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
</head>
<body>

<center><div id="formWrap">

<center><div id="form">

<div align="left"><form action="mailto:THISISWHEREMYEMAILIS?subject=Cash Customer" enctype="text/plain" method="post" onsubmit="location.href='Thank_You.html';">

<p>Company Name: <input name="Company Name" type="text" id="Company Name <br>" size="40"></p>

<p>Company Address (Inc Postcode): </p><textarea name="Company Address (Inc Postcode) " cols="40" rows="4" id="Company Address (Inc Postcode) <br>"></textarea>

<p>Contact name: <input name="Contact name:" type="text" id="Contact name:<br>" size="40"></p>

<p>Contact Number: <input name="Contact Number:" type="text" id="Contact Number:<br>" size="40"></p>

<p>Machine Make and Model: <input name="Machine Make and Model" type="text" id="Batch<br>" size="40"></p>	

<p>Email Address: <input name="Contact Email" type="text" id="Contact Email<br>" size="40"></p>

<p>Fault/Reason For Engineer Visit: <input name="Fault" type="text" id="Fault<br>" size="40"></p>

<center><div id="charges<br>"><p>Have you advised the customer of the charges? </div><!-- end #charges --><input type="radio" name="Charges" value="Yes">Yes<input type="radio" name="Charges" value="No">No<br><center><br>

<div id="charges1"<P>PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THEIR CALL WILL BE PROCESSED AND IF THERE IS AVAILABILITY IN THE AREA, SOMEONE WILL BE IN CONTACT WITH THEM ASAP TO TAKE PAYMENT DETAILS. PAYMENT MUST BE IN THE FORM OF EITHER A DEBIT/CREDIT CARD (THERE WILL BE A 2% SURCHARGE ON PAYMENTS FROM CREDIT CARDS</p></div><!-- end #charges1 -->

<center><p><input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit"></p></center></div><input type="reset" value="Clear Form"><br></center>

</form>

</div></center><!-- end #form -->
</div></center><!-- end formWrap -->

</body>
</html>

Cheers bud :slight_smile:

Utilizing the “Mailto” action in this way, you are very limited wrt the format of the information. It is very simple and quite clever but very restrictive.
In this case the browser is calling the user’s local email client to formulate (and send) the message.

A more traditional approach is to send the (POST) data to a web server. Using a ‘server side’ language like PHP, Rails or even CGI you would have complete control over the data.
In addition the delivery of the message would be better assured. (in your current set-up, depending upon the setup of each particular user, there are chances the message is not sent)

You could also capture the data by storing in a database, thereby providing an ‘archive’ for reference.

With that being said, this is not the place for step-by-step instructions on how to accomplish that. However, with the aid of a book (print or online), many of which are available from Sitepoint, you can be assured direct answers to your questions and problems along the way by [re]visiting this forum.

If this is strictly an ‘internal’ project you may not have the budget to pay a professional to help you. At the same time you would have the latitude to stumble a bit as you learn. And the education you gain from DIY is invaluable!!

Hey Parkin,

Many thanks for the feedback. I think I’ll leave it as it is now and just bare the basic look. I’ll definitely be viewing more of this forum, I’m only playing about with things at the minute, but the information I have read from other posts on this site is immense! Hopefully I’ll be in a situation eventually to share some knowledge, until then, I’ll keep my head in the books and heart in the clouds!

Cheers bud