Hide Google Docs URL

Hello,

I have a password protected intranet website for my employees. In it, we have links to several read-only Google Docs which contain sensitive information (only viewable to those with the URL). Using a Google Doc makes it so easy since the document is edited so often and by so many non-tech people. The problem is that once you log into our password protected site and obtain the URL for those Google Docs, you can use the URL to access the docs whether or not you are logged into the password protected site.

I’m looking for solutions to make it as difficult as possible to access this Google Doc URL without being logged into the password protected site. For example, if you are logged out, the URL for these documents are not accessible. Any ideas??

Thank you for any help you could provide!!

Forgot to mention (the reason I posted in the PHP forum)… I was thinking that when I present the user with the hyperlink to click to access this google doc, rather than take them directly to the google doc, it could point to a php script which downloads a fresh copy of the google doc to my server and converts it to a pdf using fpdf or the like. Then, the url they will be seeing will be to a pdf file on my server (in a password protected directory) rather than directly to the google doc.

Which sounds great, except that my level of proficiency doesn’t allow me to create such a php script. Does anyone know of a canned script somewhere which would allow me to accomplish this?

Thank you!!

Just being nosey but why do you need it as a pdf? Are you planning on using the pdf security features?

Sent from my XT316 using Tapatalk 2

Only because a pdf file could be stored locally on my server, and consequently subject to .htaccess/.htpasswd restrictions, whereas once someone has the URL to the google doc they can access it whether or not they are logged into my site. In a nutshell, I want it so that if I revoke a user’s access to the secure area of my website, they are no longer able to access these Google docs. At the same time, I do not wish to require each user to be also logged into Google to see the gdoc.

If this could be accomplished more simply I would appreciate any suggestions!

I know Google docs has an embed code to the Google docs site. Of course that makes the url kind of visible for any htnl view of your web page. You may be able to fetch it with something like php curl and embed the response directly into your web page. Haven’t tried it. Yself but it might work. It probably contains a lot of javascript code in the response but as long as it runs in the browser ok it should work I think.

Sent from my XT316 using Tapatalk 2