High Risk in Online Shopping

Most of the product nowadays are available online and most people love doing online transactions… I am learning that there are Buyers and Sellers that are scammers…

A question come into my mind, who is more protected in online shopping, the seller or the buyer?

In personal opinion, if you concern on security, do not go online.

Whenever come to web/server, the privacy can no longer be protected even though there is privacy setting, no doubt. We can only take the pre-cautious steps. That’s where we have SSL Certificate, privacy procedure and etc. The web developers are trying to protect both sellers and buyers.

Generally,I think online shopping is a fashion trend in the future years/coz it will bring us more convenience and bargains.coz there is no big spend for the online store.So we will get cheaper items than in the actual local shops.and nowadays.everyone would like to buy pay by paypal and credit card online.They are all great ways to protect the buyer’s right and consider the buyer’s mostly.like if there is a problem with no delivery and not same one as pic showing.buyer could return the item and get money back for sure.

Fair to say both are protected, but it depends on the site to some extent as well.

Thanks for the advice!

I am in doubt to use paypal… Does it have higher payment security?

What do you mean? Are there exemptions?

You talk about security in such generic terms. Yes, there are risks but those risks can be mitigated.

Collecting Credit Card Info: User a PCI compliant method and don’t store any sensitive customer data.
Personal Customer Information: Test your systems for possible SQL injection attacks to gain unauthorized access and choose a hosting company with a tight security policy.
Transmitting Sensitive Data: User SSL whenever transmitting private data such as passwords.

There are very simple steps that can and will harden your eCommerce website against potential attacks. If you’re interested in working with eCommerce, don’t let the security challenge discourage you. Just take your time and learn as much as you can so that you’re best prepared to prevent it and recognize it in the event that it does occur.

Thanks Jeff! Sometimes I easily got pissed off about security measures by some site. But I guess, being patient will be very helpful…

I would say the risk is for the consumer, since there are quite a few ways your credit card info can be stolen online when you are buying. Since Jeff covered the seller part of security pretty well, I’ll talk about some ways you, as a buyer, can shop more securely.

Site Security: Make sure the website you’re buying from is secure. Check out what security features they have and how long they’ve been operating. Do they have legitimate contact information? Google the site’s name before you buy from them. This is crucial to determining whether an online store is a scam or not.

Connection Security: Make sure you’re on a secure internet connection. Don’t buy things or enter your credit card info when you are logged onto public Wi-Fi. These are not encrypted and easy to hack.

Computer Security
: Make sure your computer is free of viruses, trojans, and keyloggers. Some of these can easily capture the data when you type in your credit card information.

Excluding that, some credit card companies will give you temporary, one-use, credit card number for shopping online. Hope that helps!

I think both are protected …
but i personally feels more secure by using paypal…

Both the buyers and the sellers are protected. That is why in every online business they have SSL however, different SSL certificates have different levels of trust. Expensive SSL providers are supposed to validate who you are in some way and vouch for your identity. This takes time and manual effort and thus costs more. The cheaper SSL providers do little to no validation of identity which may or may not matter to you (or your users).

SSL means the connection is secure but it by no means insures the site is safe. However for most users shopping is about the feeling of security more than the reality of it… perceptions about ecommerce have shifted but still have a ways to go, hence why someone will give their credit card to the local delivery guy to hand-write and put in his pocket but not to that guy’s corporate office via a monitored and much more certified website.

I think both are at risk. The buyer can make claim disputes (some do know how to go around legalities) so as to stop their payment to the seller and the seller can make claims of delivering the products when it hasn’t.

Everyone must be vigilant. Constant vigilance.

I would say sellers are more protected. That’s because buyers have to at least pay first, and they don’t receive the product immediate (this of course varies depending on the product). Buyers can make disputes, but sometimes disputing can be a long and complicated process.

I think that sellers are more protected than the buyers. the reason is that sellers don’t need to pay for the products at the first time while the buyers do.

Always I am avoid to buy things online because many scammer are there. I like to purchase things on credit or debit card instead of online shopping. I thing it is very safe purchase than online. Some time what happened you ordered some thing different than what you get. Hackers can also hack your card and cheat you so as per my opinion some how it is risky way.

No thread necromancy, please. THREAD CLOSED