Home network dns

I want to create a development network in my basement, coming from a standard cable modem.
I know how to configure lamp apache2, nfs and samba, etc.

But I don’t know how to make the network happen.
Perhaps the lamp box needs to be a DHCP server for all other boxes on the basement subnet.

Do I need to put two network cards in the linux box (the server) and run it as a router?
Do I need some sort of locally-authoritative name serving too?

Anybody know of any home-networking for advanced dummies tutorials? (I’ve been looking but not finding)

OK. The following seems to have what I wanted.

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch18_:_Configuring_DNS

As a REAL simple solution, you could use your hosts file to ‘fake’ DNS internally (/etc/hosts, c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts or … im not sure on a mac)

setting value / domains in this will allow you to point to a server directly.

Equally, for a single user / single machine potentially internal dns isn’t even needed. I don’t have it here and do all my dev on a seperate machine :slight_smile:

Easiest thing to do would be to use a router / firewall that also functions as a DNS forwarder. Monowall comes to mind, most soho routers have some sort of capability like that. Unless you really want to learn how to operate DNS . . .