Hosted vs Traditional eCommerce solutions - what are you using?

Hi,

I’m noticing a trend (anecdotally) towards hosted eCommerce solutions (eg. Shopify, BigCommerce, Volusion, etc.). And I can see the advantages of the hosted approach over traditional (self-hosted or CMS add-on, eg. Magento, osCommerce, LiteCommerce) and how they fulfil the requirements for many online shops today.

I’m curious to find out what everyone is really up to today? (Please vote on the poll.) What reasons motivated you to select the eCommerce solution that you did?

Thanks.
VWD.

If you go hosted, you dont have any control of your files.
You’re paying monthly bills.
To me it looks pretty expensive if your store has a lot of products(1/10/100 thousands)

We’re using a self hosted shopping cart called <snip> You should try.

From what I see, hosted eCommerce companies seem to be offering many more aesthetic platforms and various tools that would assist you in the way you sell your products. On top of that, they provide you with payment gateways, and many other things that take up a lot of time to install if you do it by yourself. Hosted seems like a big time saver. I would not make the switch from what we already use to hosted eCommerce solutions though.

We use WHMCS for our web hosting business, and it is loaded with more functions on the admin side that we manage our business with.

Hosted solution is better because a web store has so many details to tune-up. In Hosted web store the server guys do that for you.

A hosted e-commerce shopping cart solution makes it easy for merchants to focus on the most important part of their business, selling their products, without having to get bogged down in IT infrastructure and the ongoing maintenance. Plus, you will have access to support using a paid ecommerce hosted solution, which can be priceless in saving you time and understanding things without having to endlessly search forums and hope that someone will answer your question in a way you understand.